Logo

Thoughts on available bilge pump switches

makomark

Silver Medal Contributor
"I checked my boat late last w

"I checked my boat late last week, during a rainy period here, and found my aft bilge pump switch has ceased functioning.

I did a quick www search and found less than favorable review for the 'newer' version of the currently installed switch (std rule float switch). I label it 'newer' based on the descriptions; mine has the 'older' mercury containing switch.

So the question is: has anybody out there had recent experience with any of the current bilge pump switches on the market; if yes, willing to share? Positives and negatives are appreciated.

tnx mark"

"I use the sahara 500 automat

"I use the sahara 500 automatic best pump i have ever used,of course i did use those rule pumps,
in the past .the pumps worked ok but like you say the switches are the problem.
always try to spend a little more on a good unit.
use a higher flow pump than you think you will need (GPH rating)"

"Charles:

thanks for the in

"Charles:

thanks for the info. my boats a bit bigger and is equipped with a 1500 and a 2000 gph pump, the bigger one seeing about 4' of effective head. Last time i checked with rule, they said it would provide over 1200 gph as installed. believe it or not, I've never had an issue with any of their pumps, its those switches I can't get any significant time out of.

I've tried all kinds over the past 30 years, on several boats, and haven't found a really good one yet.

I'll check out sahara and go from there."

"I have actually been on the e

"I have actually been on the end of a sinking boat with the bilge pump the only thing saving us from Davy Jones. My opinion is stay away from anything that moves or is actuated. Water sensing or grounding is much more reliable such as http://www.waterwitchinc.com/new/SiteElements/Pages/SecondaryPages/Products/Bilg eSwitches.html . You should have seen my rule switch when the bottom grass fouled the mechanism to engage the pump. I could have not disconnected it fast enough from the bilge pump and direct connect the pump to 12v to get it to start pumping."

"EJ: i tried one of the waterw

"EJ: i tried one of the waterwitches when they first came out. what i had didn't look like anything they have now so they must have improved them. i saw lots more material on their site but didn't try to digest it tonight.

how long have you had your witch working? also, fresh or salt water environment, for your experiences?

tnx mark"

"Like you i have tried the rul

"Like you i have tried the rule switches,had a new one that did nt work from day one!
I have installed a pressure operated switch which has worked fine for a few years now.
Cant remember the makers but shouldnt be too hard to find.
They are much more reliable than any switch sloshing about in the bilges as all that is submerged is a pipe and the wiring can be about two feet or more above water.
Works like the safety on a washing machine door,water in drum = pressure which closes contacts.You could get one of the switches etc from an old machine and make one if you wanted,if you do use a relay to trip the pump as load may be too heavy for contacts.
if you have trouble finding out who makes them come back to me and i will see if i can locate."

"dave:

tnx for the input. a

"dave:

tnx for the input. all the washer switches i've seen need several inches of water to get them to close. probably adjustable, to some limit.

ow big is the tube opening and is there some type of screen to keep the crude out?"

"Hi Mark,it comes with a fitti

"Hi Mark,it comes with a fitting that sits in the bilges that looks like the closed end of a test tube.
At the top of this is an outlet pipe which the pipe attaches to,it has small cut aways on the lower edges to allow water in and keep rubbish out.
The pipe itself when supplied was about three foot long and 3/8" daimeter.switch unit can be well out of the bilges keeping electrical connections dry.
from memory cost me about £40 but i wouldnt use anything else now,just check operation every now and then by connecting a spare bit of hose and blowing!
It doesnt get the last couple of inches,but consider that better than filling the boat!
hope this helps regards dave."

"I don't know if anyone th

"I don't know if anyone thinks this is a good idea, but when I purchased my vessel it has two switches (RULE) in paralell. One is mounted slightly higher (about 3/4") and if one switch doesn't work the other hopefully does. My chances of failure are 50% less than the average RULE. (don't be confused, the second switch is not a high water switch; theres another one for that and connected to alternate bilge pump) Previous owner did a lot of offshore fishing."

"Mark, mine are in fresh water

"Mark, mine are in fresh water. My setup includes 2ea Rule 56S 4000 gph automatic pumps and 2 Rule 56D 4000 gph manual pumps. The automatic pump cycle on/off every two minutes looking for resistance against the impeller. If found, they will continue to pump until the resistance is gone. The two manual pumps are on two separate 20 amp water witch switches mounted just above the activation level of the automatic pumps. I have several other water witch switches through out the boat connecting to a exterior fireboy alarm bell. Maybe it is a bit over kill but being 4 hours away from the boat I want it to remain floating until I get there. Another thing I have planned for the future is a moisture sensor to monitor bilge wetness. Currently I have a Davis weather monitor aboard and connected to the Internet:

http://amazement.com/weather/current_conditions.html

I can check weather conditions from my home. Davis offers a leaf moister sensor and I plan on placing this in my bilge to monitor from my home any moister in the bilge.

I also have a shower pan and pump I use for my condensate pan for the a/c. The rule pan came with a rule switch which was very unreliable and a 500 gph pump . I replaced the switch with a water witch switch using the same pump and no more problems."

Back