Logo

Ibm Baffled

C

crabman

I changed the cheap tin marine

I changed the cheap tin marine valve covers on my mercruiser 233 to sturdy automotive valve covers that I had leftover from a 86 mustang. I noticed the marine valve covers had baffles in them by any grommet holes that were there so where a grommet for the breather was I installad a "baffle grommet". I used a normal grommet where the PCV is. I don't know why? I just did. Why are there baffles in the marine valve covers? Operation and performance seem unaltered. No leaks. I'm confused.

"Just a guess...the boat is su

"Just a guess...the boat is subject to more up and down forces(High waves, going over wakes etc.) which would cause the crankcase oil to splash around and possibly accumulate under the valve covers. The baffles prevent liquid oil from being sucked into the crankcase ventilation system. Engines used in racing cars incorporate more baffles than stock engines to keep the oil in the pan where it belongs. In extreme conditions, a dry sump system would be used."

Thanks guys. Do you think I&#

Thanks guys. Do you think I'll be okay by installing a baffle grommet for the PCV also?

Back