Logo

Shifting

redsnapper386

Regular Contributor
"when i shift to forward or re

"when i shift to forward or reverse ,it acts like it is slipping instead of a nice solid clunk.also,with the roller centered in the shift plate ,it will not shift at all.i have followed the manual to no avail.help guys.
sun.gif
"

"Larry, give us some more info

"Larry, give us some more info to work with...Year, type of outdrive, motor size, etc.

Premature diagnosis sounds like a bad cable from the lower unit to where it connects on top of the linkage at the motor. If the shift cable bellows has been leaking, corrosion sits in pretty quick. I went thru something similiar in July."

"pull the shift cables off the

"pull the shift cables off the shift plate at the exhaust elbow.

Put the shifter to full foward, full throttle position. Make a mark( black marker ) at the plastic cable end, on the shift cable. Now move shifter to full reverse full reverse throttle. Make a mark on cable at black plastic end.

measure the distance 2 7/8 to 3 1/8 " any more replace shifter cable.

Short shift cable, push black plastic cable end and it should put outdrive in forward with 2 fingers and not much resistance. After it is fully engaged in forward, ( you may have to spin prop by hand c'clockwise for full engagement)
Make a mark on cable with black marker. with someone holding the prop locked in forward (c'clockwise) PULL the black plastic cable end untill you feel resistance and STOP!!! make a mark on cable. Measure the gap betwen the marks.
It should be betwen 1/2 to 9/16 inch. any more replace short cable. If cable is hard to engage in forward by hand replace cable or look at linkage at bell housing.
If all cable measurements are in spec and cable moves freely then the problem is in the lower unit with the shift linkage in the lower gear case or the clutch dog/gear teeth.

Just my thoughts"

Back