Logo

Yamaha 150 four stroke wonbt stay running

ltan2191

"I have a 2004 yamaha four str

"I have a 2004 yamaha four stroke that has run perfectly until now. This summer it started shutting down randomly while cruising and wouldn't crank back up. You could let it sit for an hour or two and come back and it would crank back up and run fine. This happened 2-3 times over the summer, out of 25 or 30 times taking it out. I had a mechanic look at it but of course when they came over it ran fine and they took it out and couldn't find anything wrong. Yesterday I tried to run it and it will fire up, run for 2-3 seconds and die. I'm no pro mechanic but I was thinking it might be a fuel problem. Does anybody have any suggestions for me or has anyone had similar problems? Do you think it could be something other than fuel? If I hook the motor up to an external fuel cell would that be a good way to rule out problems from the motor back? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated."

"Yea hooking in portable gas t

"Yea hooking in portable gas tank to the motor would rule out fuel problem. It may have something to do with the computer, because its too random. If it has one."

"It was overfilled slightly, b

"It was overfilled slightly, but before this last time when it wouldn't start at all I had taken a little oil out and it is at the correct level now. How would the oil being over filled cause it now to start?"

"Had a similar problem on my 2

"Had a similar problem on my 2006 150 HP. Found the water separator was full of water. When you accelerate, it draws more fluid through the filter, including water, and kills the engine. Changed the separator and that cured the problem. Incidentally, that filter had only been in use for about 25-30 hours. Let’s you know how much water the ethanol is absorbing."

Back