Logo

Yamaha 225 V Max oxygen sensor

tnhunter

I am looking at a used boat th

I am looking at a used boat that has a 2002 225 V-Max The owner thinks there is an oxygen sensor issue that makes the motor run a little rough at top speed. Does that sound right? Is it an easy repair or something I should be very leary of.

Any information would be appreciated

"John, these are computer cont

"John, these are computer controlled, sensor driven, high pressure injected motors. A number of issues, including the o2 sensor could result in roughness at high end.

The nice thing is, any dealer can "plug this in" and get a reading of the condition of all those electronic/sensor components giving you a near instant indication of what may be wrong and how much it would cost to correct.

Depending on what this guy wants for the motor, I certainly would not pass it by immediately. I would however, insist on a condition of sale, that you be allowed to have it checked by a Yami certified tech before the deal is finalized.

In determining a fair price you need to consider 1) the cost of a brand new one - 15K plus 2) this is 6 (almost 7) years old - possibly half way to a rebuild 3) any proof of service already performed.

In general, I would expect the price to fall between 4K and 6K in the private market.

My 2 cents - Just-In-Time can probably fill in some of the techical details etc with regards to this motor..."

Very useful information. I wou

Very useful information. I would not deal for this boat without this assurance. I am still curious about your comment concerning price. Are you suggesting that the current used price for this boat will continue to go down 4-6K based on current ecomomics?

"John, I was just giving you t

"John, I was just giving you the going price for the motor (stand alone).

The current situation does not yet appear to have a huge impact on the prices in the used market - at least from what I have seen. But then again, it's really really cold up my way

The boat shows start next month and I'll get a better feel for what is going on then. I kinda figure that most guys/gals buying boats are not overly affected by the economy in the first place. These are after all, expensive toys.

I'm sure there will be some awesome deals the longer things stay down. Someone will have to get rid of their rig at any cost. But suspect those will be few and far between.

You are looking at this motor as part of an entire rig? correct? What's it hangin' on???"

just do a compression test

just do a compression test

those motors need
o2 sensor cleaned
vst strainer cleaned
new plugs
oil pump rod checked
vst HP filter replaced
Fuel injectors cleaned

Back