Logo

Diesel injector pump

tbhudson

"The previous owner never chan

"The previous owner never changed the oil in the injector pump for the past 12 years. Didn't know he had to. When I drained the oil a few days ago, it appeared to be mostly diesel fuel and not so much oil any more. He put about 2000 hours on the engine. 4300 on it now. I put in 30 weight oil during the refill and plan to refill it every 10 hours for a few times.
Anyone have any idea what I can expect in the future? Should I get another pump and just change it or wait it out for a few oil changes?"

"If it were my Lehman, I'd

"If it were my Lehman, I'd change the oil at 10 hours as you suggest. When you do that, open the "fill level" plug first (and the fill plug so it isn't air locked) and see what, and how much runs out. That's how much diesel is leaking inside the pump and will give you an idea how worn things are inside. If it's only a few ounces and the engine is still running ok, don't worry. If it is "making" a lot of oil, then a rebuild for the pump is in order. Making a little oil is considered normal operation.

Using a drain valve makes changing the oil much easier. I made one, well several actually, for my friends boats, by turning brass hex stock to fit the bottom of the pump, (M8-1 thread if I remember right) and then using an ice maker right angle valve with a short piece of hose into a quart bottle for collection. This makes changing the oil clean and easy. I used to hate the mess it made on top of my raw water pump.

K"

Back