Logo

1986 Yamaha ProV 150 Help Engine Wonbt Start

dcarter

"I'm a first time boat own

"I'm a first time boat owner, just bought '86 skeeter with yamaha proV 150. Engine would not kick over today after repeated tries. Gas in the tank. It ran a few weeks ago, but was slow to start then as well. Need advice on how & where to start troubleshooting. Maybe I need a new battery? How many amps should battery need to turn engine over? Thanks for any input."

Does engine crank slowly or fa

Does engine crank slowly or fast?
Does battery allow several attempts or just 1 or 2?
Does engine even fire when turning?

Engine cranks fast the first s

Engine cranks fast the first several times. As the battery begins losing charge it cranks slower. Engine did not fire at all.?
Thanks.

You may have a battery going b

You may have a battery going bad...on your first start attempt with the battery working at its best try using the manual choke if the engine has one...just to see if you get some response from the engine to start....if it does then check the electric choke or the choke switch..good luck

"First, I am no mechanic. That

"First, I am no mechanic. That said, try a known good battery....Like Rollie said, try the manual choke if you have one, if not maybe you can hear the electric choke click closed before you try to start the engine. Does the primer bulb pump up firm? If you have a good spin on motor and are sure you have fuel getting to the cylinders, the next thing you you need is spark at the plugs. If you get to this point, be very careful checking the spark. We want your hair just like it is for the next step
lol.gif
. While you are back there, you might want to check condition of plugs and regap them."

"Thanks for the suggestions! S

"Thanks for the suggestions! Sorry but I'm really unknowledgeable about engines. I don't have an owner's manual - I'm not sure if I have a manual choke.? How do I find out?

When trying to start I used the electric choke switch just below the key on the control box. I can hear it click. The primer bulb did not seem to firm up when I squeezed it. But I only squeezed it once or twice. Previous owner said he never needed to squeeze it? Should it be firm for engine to start?

Bow of boat is sitting on just a bit of a downgrade in my driveway. I lowered the engine as far as I could, but is still at a slight tilt. Does it need to be tilted all the way down to start? I read something about a fuel bowl elsewhere.? Thanks."

"Dan, primer bulb should get h

"Dan, primer bulb should get hard once the carbs and fuel lines are full. Make sure the tank end of the primer bulb is hanging lower than the outboard end...this will help prevent backflow which keeps the bulb from staying hard. With any engine the 2 main reasons for it not starting are fuel and spark. As Gary said check that you have spark, best to have a buddy turn the key while you look. If no spark, start with the simplest...ignition switch is a part that wears outand a a cheap fix. The engine should fire even when tilted."

"Engine started! Kept the batt

"Engine started! Kept the battery connected to charger while starting - that helped. Had to crank it a lot of times using the electric choke, but still would not start. Tried using started fluid - did not start. Finally used the manual choke and I think that made the difference.
Mechanic said it's probably just cold natured. He also said do not used Ether/starter fluid - EVER.
I shut the engine off after a few minutes because water was not flowing out of the pisser line (what ever that line is called). Mechanic said either the line was frozen or water pump is going out. Any other suggestions of what that might be? It was freezing temperature the night before.}"

"Dan, most likely frozen or pl

"Dan, most likely frozen or plugged tell tale hose...there should be some joints in the line where you can cut a tie strap and pull the hose of a nipple...then try a thin piece of plyable wire shoved down to see if it blocked....if frozen pour some warm fresh water along the length of the rubber hose to thaw it out, pumps are fairly easy to replace if you have kept the lower gearcase bolts lubed...I use neverseize once a year on mine so if I ever have to do a quick repair I'm not fighting seized bolts. Rollie"

"Dan
Always remember to drop

"Dan
Always remember to drop the motor down in freezing temps. This will allow everything to drain and not freeze up on you. Also, water pumps that have a good seal on the impeller will sometimes hold a little water where the vanes are not over the port. After all the water drains out, bump the starter a couple of times (don't let it start) to drain these passages. Sometimes there is enough water sitting between the pump vanes to actually allow freezing water to distort/crack the pump housing . Would suggest further investigation of the "cold-natured" diagnosis."

Back