Logo

How to remove a broken gimbal bearing

wblazer

Regular Contributor
"I have a 1986 4.3 mercruiser

"I have a 1986 4.3 mercruiser with a Alpha one outdrive. I removed the out drive and the gimbal bearing came apart.The interace of the bearing was on the drive shaft, and the rest of the bearing stayed in the housing. Do you think I can remove the broken bearing in the housing ,with a slide hammer? Or do I have to grind it out?"

"Yes a slide hammer is the way

"Yes a slide hammer is the way, A three fingered one is the type I use. If you can get a heavier slide wieght than the one that is normally on there it will help alot. I made a 10 lb one and it only takes ONE slide and any gimbal bearing comes out............

Putting it back in is a different matter.
There is a hole under the stainless steel crinkle ring that has to be lined up at ~ 4:eek:o position.

Make sure you do this or you will not be able to lube the bearing when replaced. Also it is not easy to reinstall without a good driver. I made one that fits the bearing and the drive anvil is 24 inches long and I use a 3 lb short sledge hammer. It ususally takes about 3 good hits to seat it properly.
After the new is installed you need the alignment tool to align the bearing to the HUB on the back of the engine.
Good luck"

"Guy
My experience is that th

"Guy
My experience is that there is never a freezer where I am working, typically it is where ever the boat is.
Time is also an issue for me. I like to be in and out of a job like this as quickly as possible.
Typically 20-30 minutes. $$$$ easy money!! Happy customer. I normally will charge $50. for the job add that to the bearing ~$60. thats $110 for the customer. Call a marina and see what they charge.

Before I made the bigger slide hammer and the bearing driver it took the better part of an hour or more.
If this is bieng done at ones own leisure, than I guess freezing would be OK. The bearing still need to be aligned at 4:eek:clock and needs to be seated all the way. Never tried freezing it myself.
Using the correct tools makes the job very easy."

"Kghost:

I was just curious

"Kghost:

I was just curious; many thanks.
snow.gif
"

You can only pull it out and i

You can only pull it out and install the same direction if that is your question.
It can not be pushed thru into the engine compartment.

"Sorry, I did not make the que

"Sorry, I did not make the question real clear. I know bearing can only go in or out one way.The broken bearing in the boat is only a shell. I was wondering if I still have enough room to use the slide hammer?
Thanks,"

In your case do what ever you

In your case do what ever you can to remove the old bearing race. I personally have never had one break so I am not sure how difficult it is to remove.

"If the carrier was installed

"If the carrier was installed with the slots aft, tap the remaining bearing shell out thru the slots and install the new one the same way. The original manuals said this was an accepted method IF the bearing HAS NOT spun in the shell.Lining up the hole for the grease slot is not mandatory, the grease ring will carry the grease to the hole and then to the bearing."

Bt Doctur

The bearing has s

Bt Doctur

The bearing has spun in the housing. I can see part of the outer bearing retainer hanging out on one side. Please advise.
Thanks

Get slide hammer and pull ever

Get slide hammer and pull everything out........PERIOD.
Buy new one and install as previuosly stated.....PERIOD!

"If you need more assistance I

"If you need more assistance I can give it to you by phone, Contact me thru my email posted in my profile......."

"here is a neat trick,that i r

"here is a neat trick,that i rem after a day of slide hammering....
on the aluminum bearing sleeve...punch and drill 3 holes at about 1,6 and 10 o;clock,then,take a sharp chisel,and seperate,where u drilled..makes removing them,much,much easier..........i slide hammer 4-5 times,if no go,i drill....."

"Thank you all for your help.

"Thank you all for your help. I hope to try to remove the bearing tomorrow. The weather is going to be nice. I have all the tools on hand, slide hammer, drills, punches and chisels."

"Thanks again guys, the slide

"Thanks again guys, the slide hammer one hit removed the bearing. Found another problem along the way,that I will post. Hope my problem helped other first time boat owners like me."

Back