Logo

350 motor conversions

redsnapper386

Regular Contributor
"is it possible to interchange

"is it possible to interchange a 2006 350 vortek parts with my 1986 350 parts.or can i take both motors,and make one good one.i want to stay with a carberator.thanks."

Intake man. bolts won't ma

Intake man. bolts won't match up; also probably others. You're wanting to combine 06 vortec engine parts w/an 86 non-vortec? What exactly is your reason for the question?

Also the rear main seal on the

Also the rear main seal on the '86 is prbably 2 piece as the post '87 is one piece. The valve covers are a good way to tell. If the have the bolts thru the center than they may be the same. if the valve cover bolts are around the outer edge of the cover it is 2 pice rear seal motor. some '86 marine engines were of the one piece rear main seal type it would depend on manufacturing date of the motor.
As far as parts swapping as Guy said what is it you want to swap........??

"guy and ghost,thank you both

"guy and ghost,thank you both for your input on my question.i have decided it would be to expensive to do this.i wanted to put my 86 heads on the o6 vortek.i would be better off to repower with or up to 1997 motors."

"Ayuh,....

Larry,...
Eithe

"Ayuh,....

Larry,...
Either your research, or your conclusions seem to be Wrong...

Your motor is a Pre-1987...
That means a direct plug,+ Play motor would have to be Pre-1987,+ Post-1979....
Otherwise,...
You'll find Fitment Problems...
The Post-1987 motors use a 1 piece rear main oil seal, which while not insurmountable, Is a fitment issue...
The Pre-1979s have the oil dipstick on the wrong side...
The Vortec heads were intro'ed in 1996,...
Only the Heads,+ Intake Manifolds changed...
Otherwise, they are, Blockwise, the same as the 1987 to present motors...
Fitmentwise anyways..."

Back