Logo

Impeller installation

tnduke

"First time here installing a

"First time here installing a impeller on my 7.4L sea water pump. This may be a stupid question, but I always heard the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. When installing my impeller, what direction should the veins be pointing? A mechanic at one of our local marinas said he "thinks" they will adjust themselves correctly after you fire it up, but I didn't care for that answer. It is a belt driven one piece pump. I also want to replace the oil in the pump. Does it take the Quicksilver high performace gear oil?"

Look at the pump and then cons

Look at the pump and then consider the direction the crank pulley will rotate the pump's pulley. That should tell you what you need to know. The vane tips aren't going to lead the way.

What pump are you talking abou

What pump are you talking about- the power steering? The oil types are posted on the plastic cover for the flame arrestor.

Don't go to that mechanic.

"That's what seemed logica

"That's what seemed logical, but thought I would just double check that. The pump I am refeering to is the sea water pump. From what I have come up with it will take the quicksilver high performance gear lube (the same as the lower unit takes)."

"There's no gear lube in t

"There's no gear lube in the raw water pump.

Post a photo if you can- I assume it's the pump with the black plastic body, right?"

That is right. It is very thin

That is right. It is very thin like power steering fluid. Once again the guy at the marina said to put gear oil in it till it is level with the plug you see at the top of the pump. I have an error uploading my pic so I will try to expalin what I have. It is a one piece pump with a fuel pump. The "gear oil I am refeering to may be for the fuel pump.

"I found what I was asking for

"I found what I was asking for in my shop manual. The sea water pump has a lobe on the shaft to work the mechanical fuel pump that is attached to the side of the pump. It does say to put quicksilver high performance gear oil up to the top. Thanks Jim N for your help, and helping me to dig a little deeper."

"If you know which way the pum

"If you know which way the pump shaft rotates, then the impeller vanes drag behind it, as if they were bent over and being pulled along.

Jeff

PS: Many believe the vanes will turn over on their own if placed backwards, but I'm a skeptic."

Back