Logo

General engine noise

moondrifter

Regular Contributor
"My 22ft/ merc i/o 190 hp requ

"My 22ft/ merc i/o 190 hp requires people onboard to shout to hear over the sound of the engine, at 3500 rpm. My boat has always been like that.
Is there a sound proof blanket or something that will cut the noise, that can be set over the compartment or wherever. thank You
Carl"

"Carl, be careful of what you

"Carl, be careful of what you might use for sound deadining material. I used foil insulation, the bubble wrap type. It has to be fireproof and oil/fuel proof also.
I used to have a 17' Rally with a Merc 470 I/O that was very noisy also and no way could I quiet it down. The problem was the way the engine was mounted directly to the stringers without any rubber cusions or shock/noise absorbtion."

"carl;

the best stuff is a

"carl;

the best stuff is a layered 'blanket', with foam and a lead (substitute) sheet. It isn't cheap but works fairly well. It is put up w/ 3M spray adhesive and clear seaming tape. A few screws with fender washers will help it stay. also, you can add another layer if needed.

depending upon how your 'engine room' is laid out will determine how effective the material will be. if it is open at the stringers, it will be less effective.

FWIW, I had it installed on my boat, new, in 1986. The heat finally took its toll and I had to remove it this past summer....just another item to add to the winter to-do list."

"Ayuh,....

I cured that Pro

"Ayuh,....

I cured that Problem by lining my motorbox,+ the side curtians with This Stuff
It's Free,....
As long as you don't mind Dumpster Diving.....
sun.gif
"

Back