Logo

1988 omc 30 gm oil in bilge

raulduke52

"i think my rear main (two

"i think my rear main (two piece) seal is going. entire engine is dry. only the top of the exhaust J tube is wet. kinda oliy and white foamy gunk. no oil in crankcase. if it is a rear main seal where does the leak usually show up? with the bell housing and flywheel shield and the flywheel and coupler all in there, where do they usually drip from? thank you in advance for any help you may share."

"[b]"no oil in crankcase.&

""no oil in crankcase."

Ayuh,... Seems to Me, That could be a Problem...

"if it is a rear main seal where does the leak usually show up?"

It would usually just drip out the bottom of the cover..."

"Rusted through pan fairly com

"Rusted through pan fairly common.
Thing is, an oil leak isn't really something that the internet can help with. You just have to get a bright flourescent trouble light, hang up side down in there and look.
If you don't see anything obvious like dipstick tube fitting/oring, or oil filter leaking, that sort of fixable in place thing, then you might as well pull the motor and when it's hanging on the hoist have a good look."

found it. cleaned the bilge

found it. cleaned the bilge and used a flashlight and mirror. no oil. motor dry. the gunk on top of the exhaust pipe was milky and heavier than motor oil. ahaa...... gear oil? pulled the outdrive and out came the goo. upper seal leaking. water in drive comming from somewhere unknown. gonna have my guy fix that upper seal and pressure check it. thanks.

Back