Logo

Winterized engine

bones774

"Hi,
Im looking at purchasing

"Hi,
Im looking at purchasing a four winns with a v6 merc that has been winterized about 7 years ago. Motor has very little hours on it, been outside in the northeast with just a basic cover. What can I expect and what should I look for? How long is a "winterization" good for? I know if I were to get it I would remove spark plugs and oil the cylinders let it soak hand turn the motor, what else? How about starter? carb? Maybe just passs it up? Thnaks for info."

"How was the block winterized?

"How was the block winterized? Dry; block may be fine. Wet; full of antifreeze which deteriorates over time. Go check the block for cracks. Drain some liquid from the block into a small container and test the fluid w/an antifreeze tester to see if it is still good.

Check the oil level on the stick. If it shows overfilled, it may have water in the pan raising the oil level which means a cracked block."

"I have not looked at boat yet

"I have not looked at boat yet, so don't know if wet or dry. All your points are good and I will use them. I don't think the seller thinks the same. He thinks the boat has normal retail value."

"The "basic cover" thi

"The "basic cover" thing would have me more concerned about floor, transom, stringers and waterlogged foam. Take an ice pick to check for rot. If possible, cut a flotation foam inspection hole in the floor under a seat base or other inconspicuous place with a hole saw."

"This is looking worse and wor

"This is looking worse and worse. I was hoping to get a quality boat,four winns, with a nice motor, just needing a little elbow grease at a good price."

"My opinion is any boat stored

"My opinion is any boat stored outside with no attension for many years is going to have a lot of issues such as dry rot as suggested.

The carb will most likely need rebiulding, Good oil change, Outdrive will need a thorough check out due to seals drying out. All boots will need thorough inspecting due to dry rot. All electrical connections may need to be checked and oxidation could cause "gremlins".

If the 4 winns has a merc than it is pre 90's ish when OMC took them over. Now we are talking a 20 year old boat.

Based on the depth of the leaves in the boat it may be do able............Be matticulus and remember it is a ~ 20 year old boat so adjust your price accordingly.

Give us feed back and pics if possible!!"

"Run Ira, Run! Pay a little mo

"Run Ira, Run! Pay a little more and get a boat worth having. Boats are like airplanes, they need to be used to maintain condition. Al W."

Not to mention if the guy thin

Not to mention if the guy thinks the boat is still in great condition I doubt he's going to let you take an ice pick to it etc. Would one of those moisture meters that home inspectors use show anything in a case like this? Was it directly outside or was it perhaps under a carport or something? I guess you really don't know till you see it but at least you have enough to think about to make a quick inteligent decision if it was just stored outside for that long. Trailer might need some work too.

"Good points by all, I didn&#3

"Good points by all, I didn't think it was gonna be this bad. The guy should be giving it away to get it off property. It's probably worth just the trailer money. I'll keep in touch with seller but im sure he doesn't understand all this."

"Just remember the saying that

"Just remember the saying that most unsuspecting buyers hear whenever buying a used boat out of season when one can not lake test it...........

I RAN GREAT LAST SEASON, NOT ONE PROBLEM.

In your case I bet he says it ran perfect the last time it was used........."

Replace the mechanical fuel pu

Replace the mechanical fuel pump since the gasoline has turned to varnish and crystalized into small particles. They will plug up the carb and drive you nuts. Fuel tank will be full of the same crap on the bottom; it will need to be emptied and cleaned.

All of the cables have not been exercized in 7 years...oh what a nightmare they will be.

The engine block and heads may have a labyrinth of crystal growth throughout from old antifreeze. The exhaust manifold may be the same and/or rotted.

Run Forrest Run!

Back