Logo

Antifreeze

isaacs

"Most of the posts on here dis

"Most of the posts on here discuss using RV antifreeze for our I/O engines. To my knowledge, the RV stuff has no anti-rust capabilities. Wouldn't we be better off using the automotive type? Exhaust manifolds are expensive!"

"Ayuh,...

[b]If[/b] you fee

"Ayuh,...

If you feel it's Necessary to use antifreeze,...
Especially the automotive type,...

Just make danm Sure you recover it,+ Don't put it in the waters tat I'm fishing in...."

"It`s illegal to use the regul

"It`s illegal to use the regular stuff if there`s a chance it can enter the waterways when you start the engine in the spring.Even if you re-drain the manifolds and block some remains, hence the "non-toxic" pink/blue stuff is supposed to be used if it can enter the water directly or thru street drains."

"Pink--sinks and drains/heads

"Pink--sinks and drains/heads ISO boats
Blue--engine blocks/manifolds etc.-does have rust inhibitors
Automotive antifreeze-green/pink, do not use unless as stated above.
This is my understanding of how it works
Chris"

First off

Adding RV antifr

First off

Adding RV antifreeze to a inboard/IO is a saftey thing and is not necessary. (I do it myself and to any boat I winterize)

Many many marine businesses do not put any in they just drain the block/manifolds/hoses etc.

The confusion lies in the methods used!!!!!!!!!

It is the people who try to short cut the correct method with filling a bucket or gravity feed antifreeze through the outdrive like the normal cooling water. If the winterizing is done correctly and ALL the water is drained manually then there will NEVER be a frozen anything in your motor. Just remeber that if some risidual is left it will be fine as long as it has room to expand.......That is why adding some RV guarentees no issues.

EPA regs are different for different states but most are on board with RV antifreeze.

It does not matter what RV typr antifreeze you use as long as it is rated for the temps for you region. Most is good to - 50'F If it gets that cold I would consider moving south..................

Back