Logo

Need upgrade input

baba_bluey

Regular Contributor
"Right now i have a 1980 470 m

"Right now i have a 1980 470 mercuiser with i believe the M-1 outdrive. I want to keep the 470 in, but need to replace the gimbal housing assembly. If i'm going to take all this apart, i'm thinking of upgrading to the alpha 1, or Gen 2. What will work with my 1980 470? I know i should just repower, but the funds aren't there."

"If there is nothing wrong wit

"If there is nothing wrong with the outdrive then there is no benifit in upgrading.

Is it you gimbal housing or gimbal ring that is the problem? and what is the problem??

As far as repowering goes it depnds on WHAT BOAT YOU HAVE????

If it is a 19-21 ft then yes a repower would be a good thing. In that case you would need the correct gear ratio.
Repowering from a 4 cyl you need different front/side motor mounts, the four cyl mounts in the fornt the v6 and v8's mount on the stringers on each side of the engine.
The transom assemblies are the same. The other thing needed would be the exhaust rams horns and associated connections and hardware. on the 4 cyl exhaust only one side is used."

"I tend think that putting &#3

"I tend think that putting "thousands" into a 1980 boat is generally not a great plan. But thats just me. Repowering with a V6... aside from what Kghost says, would require sourcing a complete marine engine complete with manifolds, marine starter, alternator, correct drive and lots of other parts.... all for a hull that - in all likelihood - may be of questionable integrity after almost 30 years. Just a thought.

Please share what problem you are having and maybe we can help."

"Sorry, forgot to mention the

"Sorry, forgot to mention the gimbal housing is detereated were the gimbal bearing goes. I replaced the bearing two years ago, and when i pulled the bearing, it basically feel out by its self. i know this wasn't a good idea, but i put it back with marine-tex.(just around the outer edge of the bearing)The boat is a 22'2ft cuddy(aquasport)Finally got the 470 running good, that's why i really don't want to repower."

"It's been holding so far.

"It's been holding so far. Ran all season with no issues. But, i've been voyaging out further, and i really don't feel confortable with it the way it is. Like i said before, the 470 is running real good right now. If i had the funds i would repower, but had the boat uot a couple days ago in some nasty seas, and had no problems powerwise. Even though it's a old boat, it's a tank."

"What you need it the TRANSOM

"What you need it the TRANSOM ASSEMBLY not the gimbal housing

You could get a pre alpha 1 Gen II (alpha 1 gen I) used and swap them. This requires removal of the outdrive and motor and a bit of work.............Done many transom assemblies. Did one last year for a bravo I and boy did it need it, cost the guy $1700 in parts..... He had a place and a fork truck to pull the 454 out so it was relativly easy.

Need some insite though to know what to look for if you go used so you do not by a piece of sh_t.

A good candidate would be any boat within a few years of yours that has a blown engine and the owner does not want the hassle. a smaller inline four cyl boat maybe with the outdrive missing and the boat in cosmetically bad shape but the transom assembly still in good condition."

"Correction, It is called the

"Correction, It is called the GIMBAL HOUSING on the parts list. It mounts to the back of the boat and attached to the TRANSOM assembly that is on the inside of the boat????????

Either way, I call the 2 pieces the TRANSOM ASSEMBLY. So the reality is you only need the outside part as you called it the gimbal assembly."

The only difference I would be

The only difference I would be aware of between your housing and a newer alpha 1 gen I would be the water hose dia. the older ones used a 5/8" dia and the newer use a 3/4" dia. hose. I believe the ujoint bellows are the same.

"Ayuh,...

You Might possibl

"Ayuh,...

You Might possibley run into a slight difference to the distance between the mounting bolts,...
Side to Side...
That will require a change of the Inner Plate as well....
Then that brings up the issue of the Rear Motor Mount Spacing,..
Which changed somewhere around the Intro of the Alpha 1s....

I'd Sell the 470 for Parts,+ take the money to buy a Donor boat with a Chevy powered driveline....

Good Luck...."

"Bondo,

I do not believe t

"Bondo,

I do not believe the motor mounts changed, All the motors mount are the same based on the flywheel bellhousing not the motors anyway.

I am not sure about the transom plate bolt pattern but I would imagine if he was to get a gimbal housing the the transom plate would be there for the taking also.

I do agree in the big picture that a nice V8 in place of that 4 cyl would be the best move but its up to him 260 hp vs 160 hp would be a major improvement.....$$$$$"

"[b]"I do not believe the

""I do not believe the motor mounts changed, All the motors mount are the same based on the flywheel bellhousing not the motors anyway."

Ayuh,...

I've got several different Mod.1 transom assemblies,+ they have the rear motor mount tabs at 15"....

The Alpha 1 transom assemblies have the mounts spaced to 9"...

So there Is a Difference,+ a new flywheel cover would be necessary..."

"So not to pry or anything but

"So not to pry or anything but is "Ayuh" kinda like saying "Yes" in slang. Like we up here would say "roof" you might say "ruff"? Something like that? Just curious Bondo. I have to go shovel snow now @#$%^&! again! Just kidding I love the stuff. New sled in the garage has never seen snow yet, can't wait!

Cheers Norm"

"[url=""]Ayuh,... Like I said,

"Ayuh,... Like I said,.. Google is your Friend,....
wink.gif
snow.gif
"

"4 definitions; the "A&#34

"4 definitions; the "A" is always a long vowel.

#1. Ayuh

A word used commonly in Maine as a positive affirmation. Pretty much, it means "yes".
Person 1: Are you going to harbor park today?
Person 2: Ayuh! (Maine slang New England slang)

#2. Ayuh (Adverb)
Yankee Slang meaning affirmative; yes
Cold, ain't it? Ayuh, it's wicked out thayah.

#3. Ayuh
A word used to end a statement; in a Maine accent. A word used to confirm a statement; in a Maine accent.

Less go ta the faya, ayuh. I'm a Mainuh, ayuh.

Person 1: Wanna go ta the faya?
Person 2: Ayuh

#4. Ayuh
A bastardized combination of "ah" and "yeah" commonly used by old cronies from Maine who have nothing better to do than whittle wood in front of a convenience store waiting to be written into a Stephen King novel.

Old Fart 1: Your wife bite her tongue last night, Jessep?

Old Fart 2: Ayuh."

"[b]"The word "ayuh&#3

""The word "ayuh" -- though it may seem at first to have a positive connotation --
may in fact be used both positively and negatively.
It has extremely subtle undertones which, if you’re not native, you can never hope to master.
Only a native New Englander can discern exactly how the speaker intends it by the
subtleties of intonation.
Something which confuses people from away some wicked."

Ayuh,... That's ah wicked smaht fellah at that thah website.....
biggrin.gif
"

"I THOUGHT BONDO WAS USING THE

"I THOUGHT BONDO WAS USING THE "AYUH" FROM THE MID 1970S CHEECH AND CHONG ALBUM CHARACTER "
"BLIND MELON CHITLIN" !
BUT WHAT DO I KNOW, I AM FROM JACKSONVILLE FLORIDA, WE STILL GO TUBING BEHIND OUR BOATS IN WINTER AND WE "HANG OUR CHADS"!
I LIKE BONDO , HE SHOOTS STRAIGHT, REMEMBER ONE MISTAKE IN PLANNING AND PURCHASE OF BOAT REPAIR STUFF CAN BE COSTLY!
B.O.A.T. ---B RING O N A NOTHER T HOUSAND!!"

Back