Logo

don_gru

HI ALL DURING SUMMER I HADE TH

HI ALL DURING SUMMER I HADE THE OLD MILK OIL IN MY BILGE. I CHANGED LOWER UNIT OIL NOW I REMOVED OUT DRIVE MERC 1 DRIVE THE UJOINT BOOT WAS LOADED WITH THIS WATER OIL I DRANED LOWER UNIT MORE WATER OIL I REPLACED O RINGS ON DRANE AND VENT SCREWS . I PRESURED TESTED LOWER UNIT 15 PSI LEFT ON LONG TIME NO LEAK ? WAT WOULD BE MY NEXT MOVE . THANKS DON

"replace the boot, find out ho

"replace the boot, find out how the water got in the boot,you need to replace the carrier seal in the drive if you found oil in the boot and the gimbal bearing also.."

Did your boat take on any wate

Did your boat take on any water???????? Did it get up to the starter inside the boat. (rain)

Check your gimbal bearing and see if it is rough when you spin it by hand. If it is then you have had water intrusion.

Also sometimes a pressure check will not show certain types of leaks. You need to apply a vacuum tester to the outdrive. It looks just like a pressure checker but it pulls a vacuum. I believe you should be able to pull ~ 4-6 ( .135 - .2 bar)inches of vacuum and it should hold.

AGREE THAT TYPICALLY IF THERE IS WATER IN OUTDRIVE OIL AND IT FINDS ITS WAY INTO THE BELLOWS THAN THE UPPER CARRIER SEAL MAY BE BAD.

"It dosent, water from inside

"It dosent, water from inside the boot goes past the carrier seal and into the drive."

"Water can enter the bellows f

"Water can enter the bellows from........

inside the boat and thru the gimbal bearing,

a tear in the bellows allows water in and the spinning ujoints stirr up the residual grease.

the gasket seal/water inlet oring/ damaged gimbal housing surface between the gimbal housing and the outdrive is bad and some water leaks in.

I dont think any water can get by the carrier seal from the bellows. The pressure in the gear case pushes it out. if enough get out you fry the upper cap bearing.

If there is a seal leak in the outdrive and it is allowing water in, then it is possible that milky oil it is leaking by the carrier seal."

Back