Logo

VRQ AUSTRALIAN MADE OUTBOARD

boater0413

"Hi all looking for a little a

"Hi all looking for a little advice, just purchased a half cabin carribean sandpiper 1988 model, it came with a 70hp VRQ Outboard, plate states Outboard Marine Corporation Australia, Model No AE70TLCOS serial no 302505t i may have some of those numbers wrong as the plate is a little hard to read but all in all i think ive got it right, what i need to know is what year the thing is, and how reliable, repudable, the brand and engine usually is, how accessable parts are or if anyone can give me details on where i may be able to contact manufacturer, thanks again."

isnt outboard marine corporati

isnt outboard marine corporation omc the maker of johnson and evinrude does it look like a johnrude 70hp

"Your model tells you everythi

"Your model tells you everything you need to know

AE70TLCOS

A - Australian built (which really means assembled in Australia with most probably Belgian parts)

E - Evinrude
70 - 70 Horsepower
T - trim/tilt with electric start
L - 20" (long) shaft
CO - model year code = 1985
S - model run suffix (no usable info)

And what you are reading as VRQ is actually VRO which stands for Varible-Ratio Oiling system. This is a combination fuel/oil pump that premixes the oil/gas before it sends it to the carbs...

There is a minor modification recommended to the pre-90-something VRO systems to prevent a back fire from causing an issue. Can dig out the info if you are interested.."

"Thanks Graham, m not sure if

"Thanks Graham, m not sure if the message i replied with has been posted so here i go again, really appreciate your time and info thanks again, and i would like the extra info on the modification needed, thanks"

"Dorian, here's the exact

"Dorian, here's the exact quote -

Since the VRO depends on crankcase pulses to operate, it is susceptible to backfires from a lean running cylinder or an out of tune engine. If your motor is older than a 1993, make sure it has the blue colored pulse limiter to protect the air motor and the check valves in the pump. Follow the pulse line from the VRO to the engine block and look for a hex shaped fitting threaded into the crankcase. If it has a black face on it, replace it with a blue style (OMC P/N 435009)."

"Sorry, should have made the c

"Sorry, should have made the comment above. To locate that "line" - looking at the pump you will see the oil line come in on the far right, next to it is the gas line and then you will see an elbow next to that with the pulse line (hose) which goes to the crankcase - just follow that hose and check the fitting at the end of it - black = bad, blue = good
"

"Thanks Graham, that stuff is

"Thanks Graham, that stuff is very handy to know as i may pay for a rebuild on the engine and would hate to run into those probs if the mechanic doesnt know about it, your a life saver, would you recommend this type of engine or is there a more repudiable outboard brand i should be looking at, im interested in good power, but mainly fuel economy, and reliability to keep me going after the fish, appreciate your comments thanks."

"If you can keep a secret. I&#

"If you can keep a secret. I'm a Mercury guy, you will find most of my 4000-some postings on that board. Great motors 25 horses and under and I own 3 of them.

However, on my current project, 24' walk-around (my "new" boat) I am powering it with a 1986, 140 Johnson VRO, which I am in the process of reconditioning. Why? a couple reasons including the inital cost of the motor, but availability of parts, initial quality of the motor ect factored in as well. But ultimately what it came down to was, in that size motor I would just rather hang an OMC off the back of my boat than anything else...

You can take that for what it's worth - mine is but one opinion..."

"ahh, youve just been too good

"ahh, youve just been too good, thanks mate appreciate your time and comments, i think i will chuck her in for a quote on a rebuild with the modification you listed, overall i was roughly quoted verbal just over $1500-2000 for a rebuild so if nothing comes up on ebay i might go with that, all the best with your new project and thanks again."

Back