Logo

Rear motor bolts on Merc 1986 57L Alpha1 drive

cruisers00

Regular Contributor
"have one bolt out, the other

"have one bolt out, the other one frozen salt solid, Bolt head gone, any suggestion how to remove bolt? Try PB Blast for a week, no result. Heat with propane torch, still not move. How about drilling? Any better ideas? Thanks
Henry G"

"cut off whats left of the hea

"cut off whats left of the head, use heat to melt the rubber, pull motor, remove whats left, cut flush and drill, heat and pipe wrench,etc.
you going to replace the rubber mounts anyway."

"Thanks, engine is out, bell h

"Thanks, engine is out, bell housing is cut-out. I am left with the bolt frozen in the mounting bracket thru the sleeve. (inside part of sterndrive mount) Will try to drill to weaken it. Any suggestion for type of drill bits needed?
Your help is appreciated. Henry G."

"I like the 8% Cobalt bits for

"I like the 8% Cobalt bits for drilling bolts. Centre punch dead centre or it'll go off the rails quick.
Go up 1 drill size at a time.

Bellhousing is cut out?
If you are replacing mounts, I *think* you'll have to put the whole transom plate in a press, so you might want to just remove it all.

I broke a 3/8 extension this summer on mine the bolt was so tight. I thought I was going down this road, but then miraculously the 1/2" impact took it without breaking after a good soak of penetrant.
broken tools:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/hystat/bayliner1851013.jpg""

Back