Logo

Hydraulic ram

jmac

"Hey guys, the fluid in the hy

"Hey guys, the fluid in the hydraulic system turned to "jelly" over the winter. In the process of bleeding the lines that connect to the piston or ram or whatever you call it (two of them, one on either side that lift the outdrive), I stripped out the hole on the piston where the line connects to it. It's the hole that has the long stainless tube after the braded line, and connects to the farthest aft point on the piston). I'm not sure where to go from here. A new one is $350. I know it could be re-tapped, but can I get a larger diameter nut on the stainless tube? Any helpful advice would be appreciated.
James
BTW, It's a '88 3.0 w an alfa 1."

"Try takeing it to a hydrolic

"Try takeing it to a hydrolic shop, They might have ran in to this before.

It never hurts to ask."

"tap it, use teflon, it should

"tap it, use teflon, it should hold. You could epoxy it in there too. Replacing it is probably the best option but it all depends on what u wanna spend.

btw, i ran into this problem at work today. We tried to replace the cylinder first but didn't have an extra one, so we tapped it and used a longer thread. However, this was pneumatics...big pressure diff between this and hydraulics for most cases."

Back