Logo

2001 OX66 yamaha 225 starts and dies loads up after running

harbin_22

"I have a 2001 OX66 225 Yamaha

"I have a 2001 OX66 225 Yamaha. The problem I am having is that it when I first put it in the water, it will start and run pretty good. The only thing is that it acts like it it is loaded up with fuel or something. I can get on the gas pretty hard for a second and it clears up and runs great. After I run it for a while, stop and fish for a while, I go to start it and it won't. What it does is, it will start and die. Like it hits and immediately dies. It will do this over and over again until it will just crank and not start at all. If I crank on it and give it a little gas it will eventually start. When it does start it does the running rough until I stab on it one good time, then it runs great again. If I prime the fuel ball it will start faster but still not very well. If I shut it off and start it righ back, it fires right up. It smokes quiet a bit when it starts too, but will clear up after I hit the gas. I have a new battery, new plugs, put a new primer ball and cut the fuel line ends and put new claps on. It has been doing this for about a month now. The temps have been between 30 and 45. I used to not even need to prime it at all. Sorry for the book but I really don't know what is going on with it."

One other thing about it is th

One other thing about it is that I can't get it to do it at my house. I can start here and let it run for a while(on muffs) and let it sit for an hour or so and it will fire right back up everytime. I have tried it here numerous times and it just won't do it. Last night I was at the lake and it did after I shut it off for 5 minutes. I got it home after abour 45 minutes and it fired right up again.

clean vst
try an aux gas tank

clean vst
try an aux gas tank
clean injectors
replace fuel filters
use stabilizer
use a water separator

"What do you mean as far as cl

"What do you mean as far as cleaning injectors? Is it something I can do or do I need to send them somewhere? I checked to VST. It is spotless. The filter on the bottom of the pump was clean too, but I went and cleaned it anyways. I had already replaced all the filters about 3 months ago(including the water separator filer). And I also use marine sta-bil. I run my boat alot, so a tank of gas is never in there longer then a month. What r u thinkin on the aux fuel tank?
I have been reading alot of other peoples problems and it really looks like the mechanical fuel pumps seem to fix a lot of their issues? The only other thing with the motor is has always smoked a lot after I start it."

Yes check the fuel pumps

yo

Yes check the fuel pumps

you run it off a aux tank to eliminate fueling issue from boat

How do you go about checking t

How do you go about checking the pumps? I don't have a manual. I do know how to work on stuff though.

Do you know what a good site f

Do you know what a good site for getting parts is? I checked with my dealer today and they wanted $60 a peice for the pumps. I thought that seemed high. I emailed you too.

"Another thing to is I checked

"Another thing to is I checked the compression on it, with it cold, ad it was all between 105-110. Is that ok?"

"I talked to the Andy guy, and

"I talked to the Andy guy, and he told me a way to check the fuel pumps. He told me to take them off the engine and leave all the lines connected. He told me to pump the primer ball and see if any fuel comes out fom behind them. If it does then the diaphrams are bad. Well sure enough I took them off and they are all leaking fuel pretty bad out the back. So I am asumeing this is a crrect way to check them so I went ahead an ordered them from him. JUST-IN-TIME was right about Andy. He was super helpful to me. Good guy to deal with. Had all the parts in stock too."

"He is the greatest!
He has a

"He is the greatest!
He has a vendor forum on thehulltruth

that is the e-z way to test, but u need to also test for vacuum also"

"Are you sure the fuel was com

"Are you sure the fuel was coming out the back, and not through the sides because two of the bolts were out? Just asking because I made that mistake. Don't pump real hard with them disconnected, a leak should show with just light pumping. Does sound like fuel pumps though,a nd is an easy & cheap fix to eliminate uncertainty.

Does it smell "gassy" when these problems happen?

Also might need to clean O2 sensor if pumps were bad."

Well I put the low pressure pu

Well I put the low pressure pumps on it and it fixed the starting problem. Thanks for all the help. The thing is that it is still acting like it is loaded up when I start it first thing in the morning. May be a normal thing. Put new plugs in with no change. It has a cough like symptom when it is just idleing around or really anytime under 1500rpms too. Any suggestions? It was dong all this before the not starting thing.

"Coughing is a sign of running

"Coughing is a sign of running too lean, adjust the carbs, u may have to adjust carbs slightly each winter and summer as air density is different"

"i am having a similar problem

"i am having a similar problem on my 01 225 vmax, i fished a tournement on saturday and the motor ran great for about an hour, then it started acting like it was only running on 4 or 5 cyls. 4200 rpms. i tried to run it again today and did the same thing then it fell flat on its face. after idling for about 3 miles, and i got it to turn about 4200 rpms again, after running for about another 3 miles it stalled suddenly. now it will start and shuts off after about 10 seconds tops. if i crank on it then it wont start at all, however if i let it sit for a littl while it will run for about 10 seconds and shut off. i did notice a little gas coming from the exhaust on saturday. any ideas?"

well you need a manual first t

well you need a manual first to do anything
you need an aux fuel tank
you need a fuel pressure/vacuum gauge
you need a good volt meter
you need some free time

"well first you need a fuel ga

"well first you need a fuel gauge on the VST
you want 38-50 PSI

hook an aux gas tank up

go run it and watch the pressure
if it drops you have a restriction in the fuel
might be clogged VST

I always drain them, remove the screw fully to get crap out"

"thanks it did have some crap

"thanks it did have some crap in the vst, as well as a bad voltage regulator, and torn diaphram in the lower fuel pump, fouled plugs but all is well now thank you for the help"

Back