Logo

Fuel Tank

nicknack2

Regular Contributor
"Guys, I have my boat in the s

"Guys, I have my boat in the shop, it is getting an engine swap, bolting on a 200HP 2000 Evenrude(1969 Stamas is the boat type), I drained the fuel tank and toward the end I was pulling what it seem to be water and gas mixed, now it is empty, but I was wondering if there is any treatment I can use on the tank, I can see some rust, it is a 50 Gal. steel/metal tank I was wondering if I can dump a couple of gallons of racing Fuel (methanol) to absorb the remaining water, then re-drain, any ideas???"

"the boat itself has a spin-on

"the boat itself has a spin-on fuel/water separator, and I was thinking of at leats two more inexpensive inline fuelfilters from an autoparts store, do that for at least a few runs to try to pick up most of the rust/water and debri and then just go back and stick to the spin-on fuel water separator."

"I would stay with the spin on

"I would stay with the spin on, just change it frequently. I would stay from cheap filters and certainly stay away from multiple filters on the intake side of the engine. If that new motor runs too lean, bad fuel won't be your big problem."

what do you mean by if the mot

what do you mean by if the motor runs leand bad fuel is not a problem? why is it that multiple filters is a bad deal? I agree I'll change flters often...by cheap filter I meant inexpensive auomotive fuel filters...

"No, I said "bad fuel won&

"No, I said "bad fuel won't be your big problem". Your big problem will be a burnt piston or valve. In a lean condition, the piston and valves are not lubricated or cooled enough due to the lack of fuel, then they burn up. That would be your big problem. The reason for not using cheap or multiple filters is that each one, especially the cheap ones, causes more of a fuel restriction. Fuel restriction = lean condition. Lean condition = see above statement.

Rick"

"Ah I see I think I got it, so

"Ah I see I think I got it, so you would not even recommend fuel/water separator plus one in line filter??? I'll just stick to the Fuel/water separator right???"

you said you have rust in the

you said you have rust in the tank?

when you get ready to clean the tank up go and buy some bbs and put them in the tank and shake it around............that should take care of your rust.

yep..........i read about it o

yep..........i read about it on this site somewhere and i work on a little bit of everything and long story short i had an old generator that was given to me with a tank full of rust and it worked-looked nice and shiny .........i also used some penetrating oil just sprayed it in the tank...........maybe the bigger the tank/area the more bbs.

just shake the crap out of it.

"Well mine is a 50 Gal. Tank,

"Well mine is a 50 Gal. Tank, maybe 2 boxes of BBs(500 of them) and a 1 liter bottle of liquid WD-40 might do the trick... it will be tough to to shake the tank but definitely worth trying, new tanks tanks are ~250 bucks..."

Back