Logo

Shifting problem

A

afdan52

"Everytime I try to shift into

"Everytime I try to shift into Reverse, the engine dies right away. Any ideas? 1973 SeaRay 19 ft'er 302 V-8 with mercrusier 888 Outdrive.}"

"Daniel, had same problem back

"Daniel, had same problem back in July. Seemed to be a little stiff going into Reverse for about a month, and the following week, exact same symptom. I had a bad bellow on the lower shift cable, and it caused corrosion."

"Is the "shift interrupter

"Is the "shift interrupter switch" adjusted properly? http://www.marineengine.com/discus/messages/12486/221749.png"" alt=""shift interrupter switch"">

JW in Dixie"

"[b]"Is the "shift int

""Is the "shift interrupter switch" adjusted properly?"

Ayuh,... It must be...

It's Working as designed...."

"The shift interupter switch w

"The shift interupter switch works off of resistance in the short shift cable.

When trying to shift OUT of forward or reverse the cintrifical forces on the clutch dog make it almost impossible for the clutch dog to seperate from the gear it is meshed with. The momentary ingintion interupt causes just enough brake (if you will) in the cintrifical forces to allow this seperation to occur.
If you are causing the interupter switch to engage when putting it into reverse that you have a resitance problem from the short shift cable back to the outdrive shift components. Most normal issue is old or worn or overheated cable, Other issues are with the linkage in the gimbal housing.
With the outdrive removed from the boat and the short cable removed from the shift bracket you should be able to push/pull the cable all the way in or out easily with your index finger and thumb in and out with little or no resistance. If you need to use any real force than the cable is the issue.
If the cable has been adjusted prior to this problem then it could also need to be readjusted and or is the problem."

"Daniel, knowing about this fo

"Daniel, knowing about this forum, and with the help of everyone 'onboard', with little mechanical knowledge, you should be able to diagnosis and fix or replace this shift cable yourself. I only wish I found this website before I had my cable fixed by a shop, it would have saved me about $650 in labor costs. I also spent about 2-days (6-hrs) adjusting the linkage, thinking it was the shift cut-off switch, disassembling and inspecting the throttle control box and such to no help!

They diagnosed my problem as:
Found water inlet O-Ring failed, allowing water to get to the shift cable, causing it to fail. Also found that the front seal on the drive has been leaking into the bellows and this need to be changed.

Action taken:
Replaced lower shift cable, shift bushings, water inlet o-ring, and seals.
I also had them replace the water pump, and they inspected and pressure tested the lower unit.

Total parts cost: $298.20
Total labor cost: $654.00

With me working average 50+ hours a week, I just didn't have the time to do this myself, as I only want to be on the water when the chores around the house are done, so I had it dealer serviced.

You can rest assured, the next time something needs to be done like this, and with the help of this forum, I'm doing it myself! As I've mentioned in a previous post, I'll never complain about the charges the expert mechanics charge, but this web-site will definitely limit my costs of having to go back to the dealer!

Give it a shot, you have a bunch of help here!"

Back