Logo

Water getting into ONE cylinder OX66

still_bill

Contributing Member
"1999 250HP OX66, lower cylind

"1999 250HP OX66, lower cylinder on starboard side is fouling spark plug with salt deposits (running in salt water). Compression is good on all cylinders (108-113). I already tried replacing the head gasket; however, I did not check it for warpage, as it really didn't show any visible signs of leakage. Before I try changing it again, what else could be causing water to get into just this one cylinder? Could it be a problem with exhaust baffles?"

"Took the head to the machine

"Took the head to the machine shop. Found a low spot about .002" on a couple of the cylinders at the inner rings. Machined it 4 passes (<0.001" each). First two passes only cut outer water jacket, so maybe that was it. Still not convinced it was the head gasket leaking.

After reassembly, I found that there was a vacuum line off. It goes from the lower part of the throttle body (onthe same side as bad cylinder) to the air box. Air box end was off, and laying in the bottom of the cowling, where it could have been sucking-up water whenever I backed-down.

Both items fixed, hoping problem is fixed with no permanent damage."

Back