Logo

2003 50HP Choke Solenoid

fishinfamily

"I am having trouble with my 2

"I am having trouble with my 2003 Yamaha 50TLRB running rough only in the beginning of a trip. It sounds as if its running lean or misfiring. After anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes of use the engine runs like new. Didn't have this problem in the warmer months this summer or last winter at all. Is it possible to test the choke solenoid to see if it is the culprit, they cost $160 at my local dealer. Carbs are frequently cleaned, but not rebuilt. Plugs are new. Any help would be appreciated."

It does have the auto electric

It does have the auto electric choke. I think the choke is working because even today when I went out I hear the RPMs increase for 20-30 seconds then cut back. Then the same thing every time - rough idle and major power loss with an increase in engine noise. This lasts usually while I am running around catching bait and then one of the times it will start fine and run perfect (I mean perfect) for the rest of the day. Next day same problem. I'm lost. I clean the carbs well (I think - my brother calls me captain carb because I do have good luck fixing carbs on all kinds of equipment). Am I thinking too deep to think I have a sticking valve or something similar.

"yep - I found today the solen

"yep - I found today the solenoid should read around 3 ohms - haven't tested yet. Also - I noticed when it is running poorly there is fuel or oil in the water by engine, but not when running right."

Back