Logo

Merc 165 470 480

jonjon

Contributing Member
A friend is looking at buying

A friend is looking at buying a 25 Bertram. They come come equiped with the 165 M/C and 470 M/C and 480 M/C ?. I do not know the stern drive leg model. I would apreciate some thoughts an the good and failing points on the motors and legs. Thank You in advance.

"165 is normally the inline 6

"165 is normally the inline 6 motor
470/488 are the fwc inline 4`s
both have lots of torque and with twins it should see 45+ Series`1 or Aplha drives ,both are sturdy and work well with proper servicing, motors too"

I have read that there appears

I have read that there appears to be problems with the cast ally blocks on the large 4 cyl. I think the 4 's had a steel head? My thoughts was to look for the FWC 165. I had been told they were a mexican chev motor. A good slugging six compared to the 4 cyl large pot. I do not have any knowledge on the legs. Is the model no 45+ Series 1. I have heard of the Alpha 1 legs. [the mechanics here do not speak highly of them].

A 25 foot boat with twin motor

A 25 foot boat with twin motors should do about 45 knots (speed). I think thats what he meant. The straight 6 (165) has a better reputation than the 470. You can't go wrong with an Alpha drive. Parts are cheap and its reliable.

"I will pass on the info. Whil

"I will pass on the info. While the 6 cyl would be heavier than a 4 cyl, the work load is spread. Is the alpha leg far better than the series 1? Where are the model nos displayed on the leg and are these two legs easialy distinguished? Thank You."

Back