Logo

Salt in fuel filter

santacruzin

I just discovered salt in my i

I just discovered salt in my inline fuel filter that was in front of my racor fuel wat. sep. there was some water in seperator but not past the clear drain bowl. I went about 60 mi. in the last two weekends and one trip was in major bad weather with 10' swell and 20 kt. wind i took a beating- the only thing i can think is salt water went through tank vent on side of boat? any ideas is this a possibility no water or salt made it past water sep. but i changed it and the fuel filter and added more seafoam.

"since it is an entirely close

"since it is an entirely closed system,..if u had wtr/salt.in system,it came from where u filled up,or as u suspect,intrusion into a fill cap or vent......however,i am,a lil curious,as to why salt,would not mix/dilute w/gasoline?...i'm thinking,u may be seeing something else."

"Noticed it after boat sat for

"Noticed it after boat sat for three days and fuel filter was dried up, cut it open and tasted it- sure taste like salt and is white i thought it might be electrolysis from aluminum tank, ran 20 mi. yesterday and nothing no white substance or water in sep. wish i really knew where it came from?"

"Gas cap is on top of rail and

"Gas cap is on top of rail and air tight i need to check vent line your the second person that said there should be a loop i have a inspection pie hole there but can't see it, have to chip some foam out of way. vent is on side of boat and looks suspect and if there is no loop than that is where it came from. Thanks"

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
221592.jpg
Gas vent

"It will be entering the vent,

"It will be entering the vent, have seen the problem before with other guys boats. Mostly a rough water problem..as water is forced into the fitting. Permanent fix is to relocate to a dryer spot on the boat."

Back