Logo

Water in new Chevy Vortek

baybuzzard

"Have old Owens Concorde (

"Have old Owens Concorde (1968-27')Replaced old 350 with new 350 Vortek. Got water in old engine twice because of Owens "exhaust dumps" rocking at dock in high winds drove water into cylinders. Reworked exhaust system hoping to end problem, installed new engine which ran fine last summer. In Sept. went to start engine and "hydrolocked" again. (bad winds during the week). Pulled plugs, drove all water out (#7-#8 cyls), sprayed oil in all cyls., turned over by hand, replaced plugs loosely and winterized.
This spring, removed plugs, turned engine over, replaced plugs, wouldn't start. (sounded out of time) Did compression test with all plugs out. #8 cylinder had 35 lbs. compression. #7 155 lbs.

Any suggestions???

Thanks, Jim"

"You should have run the motor

"You should have run the motor and changed the oil. The water in the motor would have evaporated and been removed by the oil change. I would imagine that there was some oil in the rings and that has created grooves in the cylinder walls and when the motor started again, the rings may have broken or been worn badly."

"After the engine "locked

"After the engine "locked up", it wouldn't start and as I said, seemed to be "out of time". It was late in Sept, and about ready to put her to bed; so I did what I thought was right as per information I got from other boat owners at the marina.

The old engine had locked up twice as I said but always started (although grudgingly)after "blowing out" the water and cleaning the plugs. But it was an old engine. This new Vortek fired up at the first turn of the key (as usual) and was completely unexpected.

I don't know what to expect for damage. Piston, valve, head gasket or something else.....

Thanks, Jim"

Back