Logo

Ibm a DUMBA%24%24forgot drain plughelp

speedracer

"Engine compartment filled to

"Engine compartment filled to just below oil pan. Took the boat out of the water and went home. All electronics work as previously. Plan to change engine oil/filter, but what other suggestions are out there??"

"If it was below the oil pan,

"If it was below the oil pan, you should be fine. If it was high enough to get into the starter, you'll need to rebuild it. Uncover the boat and place fans in it so the water will evaporate. Condensation will kill your electrical contacts, motor, alternator, starter and any wood. Get it good and dry in there."

"Jim N--I might understand you

"Jim N--I might understand your point if I hadn't been a long time 4wd advocate. I have put MANY trucks in mud holes above the floor of the truck and never had a starter issue, several trucks having the same motor as my boat"

"Eric,

Think what Jim's

"Eric,

Think what Jim's trying to say, is if you had water deep enough long enough to migrate into oil pan, starter will also need cleaned, dried and relubed. Just below oil pan doesn't sound very damaging to anything to me,, but fans and a chance to air out would be an excellent idea.

Bob"

"The thing about boats is that

"The thing about boats is that the motor isn't in open air- it's covered for the majority of the time and that creates a whole list of issues not seen by most vehicles. Also, mud is one thing, water is another. Both in mechanical devices are bad for their own reasons. I have replaced a lot of starters and alternators that were in boats that were closed up tight as a drum in fall, only to be drenched in spring upon unwrapping with rust on all bare metal and no crank or charging ability. Like I said, do what you said, open it up and dry it out- you should be fine. Better to err on the side of being too careful."

"Thanks Jim, I'm glad peop

"Thanks Jim, I'm glad people like you with prior experiences are able to assist those of us with little experience. I am going to change the oil/filter as mentioned, is there a time frame I need to open the compartment? This happen last Sun and the boat has been covered up since due to the hurricane rains that swept through. I will open it up tonight and just hope for the best. Any other potential problems I should be looking for?"

"Just the usual electrical stu

"Just the usual electrical stuff- exposed contacts corroding, etc. You might want to remove the starter and lube the Bendix and gear teeth. If you can't leave it open for long, think about getting some Damp Rid containers, like those for RVs."

Just her running ASAP and you&

Just her running ASAP and you'll be fine. Nothing like running the heck out of something to cure its ills.

Jeff

"depending on how high the wat

"depending on how high the water actually went is where the trouble lies,over the starter?,over the trim pumps?these are the things you need to look at at take care of,baking soda!lots of baking soda,either straight out of the box or dilute it with fresh water,it's the only way to kill salt corrosion,and it works,saved alot of submarined motomrs this way,then electric cotact cleaner on wires and connecxtions,LOOK,LOOK,LOOK."

Back