Logo

50 MPI starting problem

alon

"I have a 2007 5.0 MPI motor i

"I have a 2007 5.0 MPI motor in my 22ft bow-rider based in Cape Town South Africa. it now has 38 hours on the clock.

Recently when I turn the key to start it, occasionally I get no response as if the battery is dead. Then the second or third time I try it starts no problem. It is an intermittent problem.

Any idea what this could be?"

"Start with the basics. Clean

"Start with the basics. Clean your Battery Terminals! After that clean the grounding cable at the block. After that look into pulling the Starter Solenoid and replacing it. Let us know! (BTW, you can often Rotate the large brass connector terminal that the Battery Cable connects to on the Solenoid. It will show signs of Arching damage inside the Cap.) Al W."

"Follow Al's advice. Get

"Follow Al's advice. Get a battery hydrometer and check the specific gravity in each cell; if one or more cells is different the battery is on its way to the recycler. If the acid in one cell is dirty, that is indicative of a dying/dead cell.

Also check the battery cable terminals (automotive style) for a hairline crack from overtightening. Rule out the slave solenoid by jumping the two large threaded studs on top to see if the starter runs; try 3 or 4 times 5 seconds apart. If it skips 1 or more, it may be the problem."

"Follow the guys advice, but f

"Follow the guys advice, but first I would check the key switch..I have had them go bad due to salt and would work intermittently"

Back