Logo

2000 OX 66 225 Stalls Will not Fire

newoxowner

"I bought a used 2000 OX66 225

"I bought a used 2000 OX66 225 EFI Saltwater motor with a 90 day warranty (thank God).

Starts at the boat ramp - sometimes will run fine but eventually will stall out. Sometimes the stall happens after putting in gear (which I attribute more to me not allowing it to warm up properly), other times it will run fine then if I hit the trottle hard for a hole shot, she stalls, other times will run fine then stall when I back off the trottle quickly from a 3/4 trottle run. Been out 5 times and towed back 4.

I could handle the stall if the dang thing would then refire. It does not. It turns over I usually hear what sounds to me like a one cylinder trying to fire then it just cranks as if all the plug wires had been pulled.

Got it home Sunday and tried to dulpicate this in the drive way. I adjusted the idle down to where it would stall. Then run it up a bit and cranked it over. Same single firing sound I hear on the water. And the motor just turns over not firing. Run the idel screws in a little more and same result - does not fire.

So at this point I pulled the plugs and squirted a little gas into each cylcinder with a spritzer bottle. Replaced the plugs and turned the key. Motor fired on the fuel I sprayed into her but would not start.

Checked the drain plug in the vapor separator and she drains nice clean fuel, shrader valve has pressure when cranking.

Stopped working on her for a about an hour and tried the key again and she fired right up. She just teases me but really does not want me to put a line in.

Can't figure this out. Anyone got an idea?"

well you got a bunch of things

well you got a bunch of things
fuel pumps are shot
vst needs cleaning
fuel injecters need cleaning
o2 sensor needs cleaning
adjust tps

got the manual?

"Thanks.. I dropped it off at

"Thanks.. I dropped it off at the dealer who sold it to me. Said they would take it out on the water to see what's wrong. Still under the 90 day warranty so they they should take care of it. Once they tell me it is fixed I'll request an in water test .. assuming they are crooks .. is there something they might do to make it run but not fix it just to get me out the door and past December 31st the end of my warranty period?

At minimum I should demand they replace the fuel pumps ... agreed? With the manual and a few hours I should be able to clean injectors, VST and other stuff.

Hate to say it but you can't trust anyone.

I'll be getting the manual for sure for Christmas!

One more question, they offer a 2 year warranty with a $25 deductible per repair. It's $1,000. Is this worth the money?"

"Well, got it back said they h

"Well, got it back said they had to replace the fuel pump silinoid. This solved the stalling and not restareting. But even though it would keep running it surge while on plan they replaced the high pressure fuel pump as well.

Looks like you were right on.

Thanks!"

Back