Logo

Is a rudder a rudder

briang0

Regular Contributor
I broke my rudder this year ba

I broke my rudder this year backing my 25' CC express Crusier into my yard. I am wondering do I have to replace it with the exact same rudder. It turns like a super tanker anyway. I have found several used rudders that have the right shaft size and length but a litter different shape. The cost of the new exact replacement made me wince. If I have to bite the bullet and get the exact replacement I will just looking for a little advice.

"Bigger CAN be better, but kee

"Bigger CAN be better, but keep this thought in mind: The area on each side of the rudder post must be the right proportion or it will either refuse to turn (too much area in back) or whip into a turn on its own (too much area in front).

Those marine engineers know their stuff!@

Jeff"

But JF - wouln't any of th

But JF - wouln't any of the Rudders Brian is considering be designed to trail properly in water? My advice would be to try one that fits as long as its not significantly bigger or smaller. We are talking about a 25' rig and not 45'. cheers

I found a rudder that is the e

I found a rudder that is the exact same size and shape except the shaft. My broken rudder had a 1" shaft. The one I bought has a 1 1/4" shaft. I am going to purchase a rudder port that will fit the shaft. The problem is I will have to drill holes in the BOTTOM of my boat because the larger rudder port has a larger hole spacing. When I calk during the installation will I need to do anything else? The existing holes will be covered with the new part and get filled with chalk. I could use some help here. The whole thing about drilling holes in the bottom of my boat really scares me.

"If the holes are thru the hul

"If the holes are thru the hull, I'd fill them with thickened epoxy from the top using masking tape on the bottom to temporatily seal the hole.
Clean the holes first."

Back