Logo

Buy Parts Online

mark_j

"Hi, I am based in Australia,

"Hi, I am based in Australia, and parts are hard to get here. Where can I get for my Tohatsu 8-9.8 current model part no.s 3K9B01100-1 & 3K9-05233-0, and how much?
Thanks"

"I made this previous post aft

"I made this previous post after waiting 6 months for parts.
Not one reply?
Ordered parts here instead, they didn't arrive.
Paid for the parts and they were going to be posted to me.
Post finally arived after weeks, empty bag, no parts?
Solution to Tohatsu service - Buy a Mercury instead!"

"Well, since Tohatsu makes Mer

"Well, since Tohatsu makes Mercury I don't think that's going to help you very much...It sounds like your problem is more related to a poor choice of whom to do business with rather than than a manufacturer."

"Only 2 dealers here, the othe

"Only 2 dealers here, the other one takes your ph number then never calls. Been waiting over a month for a letter with parts in it.
I did give your site a try.
Got a new US made 15hp, only 35kg and more features. The Merc/Toh 15 was heavier."

"I get your point, but keep in

"I get your point, but keep in mind, you can get parts for that B model Tohatsu from your Mercury dealer too. Mercury sells that model, under it's own label, in your country
"

"I have no problem with the to

"I have no problem with the tohatsu product. But to have to go to merc dealers for parts is not a good image for Tohatsu.
Might as well buy a Parsun, and get parts from Yamaha.
For anyone wanting to get more from their 8B, the largest carb jets you can run is 50 idle and 100 main, this gives a slight power increase. But the main gain is acheived by grinding the coil stopper to give at least 26deg. This also requires adjusting the inner tiller cable to be shorter to give more radius of movement, and at same time reset coil-stopper push-rod to keep idle timing correct."

"Again, keep in mind that the

"Again, keep in mind that the problem is not Tohatsu. The problem is your individual dealer. It happens in all brands, somewhere, sometime."

"I bought a M12 in good workin

"I bought a M12 in good working condition. I tried to service it. Can't get parts, no impellers, coil, carby repair kits, nothing. Dealer told me to throw it away. I looked every where on the net and called all kind of sellers, to no avail. So the problem does not seem to be localised here in Aus. I DO think Tohatsu suks. Not happy. I think I should be buying Honda (they have parts for their very first motor), or even dear Suzuki for that matter. Any comment or any idea on what to do? I'm desperado!"

"Your complaining about parts

"Your complaining about parts availability on an engine that is 24 years old or over? Seriously? What about the Johnson's and Evinrude's that are 9 years old that have some parts as no longer available? Or the Suzuki's, Honda's and Yamaha's that are 11 years old and have some parts that are no longer available....Mercury has the same story. Your not being realistic. And impellers are available for the 12...It takes the same one as all of the 9.9's-18's even up through today. Carbs and ignition parts are obsolete because the manufacturer of those parts stopped making them for Tohatsu."

"Just watching here.

So the

"Just watching here.

So these carbs that are not available,,, can they be substituted for something that is? Generic ? Could be that the generic may be better than the OEM.. I'm thinking of the GM rack and pinion issue where the aftermarket turned out to be the better made unit."

Unfortunately there is no know

Unfortunately there is no known substitute for the carb. I wish there was as there are a ton of older engines still out there.

"This place in US is good for

"This place in US is good for carb spares Motorcyclecarbs.com, but a bit slow delivering. I managed to source my jets by the carb make and then mearsuring and the thread type, eg: 8hp Pilot jet is N424-25- #48. I got a few sizes and experimented."

"I can do seals for the carb,

"I can do seals for the carb, may be able to substitute the coils. The impeller are more difficult to deal with, as each manufacturer and with each subsequent model, are all different. Manufacturing impellers is just about impossible without molds, not to mentioned time taken. I take your point that I may be unrealistic. However I still drive my "new" Renault Fuego ('84), having just upgraded from my Renault 16TS ('68), for which I still managed to get parts for. I know that impellers are the same for a range of similar motors in the same years. And they are not available anymore as far as I know. Being new to this game I am fresh enough to be amazed at the total disdain the customers are held in. I will check and buy the best service of a bad lot, now that I am aware of this, and not necessarily the best motor! How about helping me find a couple of impellers guys?"

"Forgot to mention in my right

"Forgot to mention in my rightful disapproval that my engine is a 1982 M12 serial 18994, shaft diameter is 14.1mm, impeller around 35mm, thickness 18mm, and has 6 blades. Help?"

"In all sincerity, which manuf

"In all sincerity, which manufacturer or trademark name has the best reputation for parts and services down the life of their products. The web of who is what and what is their products is confronting. I accept to some extent what you said about the short life of outboards, albeit reluctantly, in a consumer society, but one must stand out better than the others?"

"The problems is Tohatsu's

"The problems is Tohatsu's because they choose their dealers, which is the public face of their company.
I once wanted a part for a Mercedes car, there was none in Australia, they flew the part in from Germany in just a couple of days, and didn't charge an extra cent for this service.
At the time I had just purchased a New Citroen car for over $50,000, it needed a warranty part replaced, I was told they only order parts twice a year, so I may need to wait 6 months. I will never own another Citroen, all my cars are now new Mercedes cars."

"Mark, I understand fully what

"Mark, I understand fully what you are saying, and I fully agree. But in this case Tohatsu itself is fully responsible, as their lack of serviceable parts is a world wide phenomenon, as far as I can tell. I looked at Susuki"s forums, and they talk of engines as old as mine. While some parts are no longer available, as you would expect, they are still a full complements of serviceable part such as impellers. British freaking Seagull are still being re-manufactured, and so are old Seahorses etc. I'm thinking that I may have to modify the pump so it takes a newer (latest) impeller, so to prolong the outboard usefulness. I will tell everyone about my unhappy adventure in Tohatsu country, and make sure they do not get any business from me. I will be the worm who turned! Seriously!!!"

Back