Logo

Ford Mercruiser Downsize Repower

boatman27

"Hey guys;
Have this old Troj

"Hey guys;
Have this old Trojan woodie that needs a repower and I want to do it cheap.
It is a 72 hull with 72 302 Fords and setup as a straight inboard, I think the transmissions are Borg Warner, here's the thing; I could just get a couple of short blocks and replace whats there for about 5K, but the boat is not worth putting that much money into, so I was thinking of a couple of used 140 Mercruisers that were taken out of boats with outdrives. I don't need all that V/8 power and the 4 cyl engines would fit my use better, not to mention the economy of it. Will these engines bolt up to my bell housings and will the starters and flywheels match. I can change and simplify the wiring and mounts ok. Also, I read somewhere that the transmissions can be modified to accept a non opposite rotation engine by changing a pump housing cover or something??
Does anybody know if this idea will work?
I had the same thought about the Cummins 4BT, (if I had more money)."

"[b]"Will these engines bo

""Will these engines bolt up to my bell housings and will the starters and flywheels match."

Nope,...

None of it'll Fit...

You can't just go from Ford to Chevy like that..."

Sounds like a waste of time an

Sounds like a waste of time and money. You might want to consider a couple of used outboards instead.

"Sledderdoc, I agree with you.

"Sledderdoc, I agree with you.

I would appreciate your opinion letting me know that if something I was thinking about doing, just wasn't worth it, and for presenting another option!

Opinion...isn't that what a discussion board is all about? Someone asks a question, and others reply with their opinion, based on trial & error, or just simply based on experience."

"Sorry if I offended anyone, d

"Sorry if I offended anyone, didn't mean to come across as a smartass. I know several guys who have done just that and they are professional fishing guides. They said for them it was easier maintenance etc.
Trouble is when you go switching from ford to gm your changing everything. If your going that far it may actually be a less expensive option.

HOWEVER if you don't want an opinion ... don't ask!"

"Hey guys; forget I asked!
Th

"Hey guys; forget I asked!
The boat is not a clorox bottle that one can strap an outboard onto...
It's a 31 foot cabin cruiser and thanks to the first answer, I have decided what to do, so thanks all.
A wooden boat has unique problems and I was only looking for a simple engine exchange answer.
Also; I did not realize that a Ford Mercruiser was different that the 4 cyl engine I asked about."

"What you were asking wasn&#39

"What you were asking wasn't a simple engine exchange question.
In a 31 footer, twin four cylinder engines will leave the hull a bit underpowered.
What these guys are talking about is a "foot", attached to the bottom of the transom that the outboard engines bolt to."

"[b]"and I was only lookin

""and I was only looking for a simple engine exchange answer."

Ayuh,...

Ford abandoned,.. or Was abandoned by the boating industry Years ago....

Your only real choice of repower is another 1 of what you have....
Or,..
Swap out the gear aft of the motor too...
Actually,...
Going from a V8 to an I4 will require regearing,+/ or major prop changes Anyways..."

Back