Logo

1974 sea ray 240 engine

joeleewis73

"i bought a 1974 sea ray 240 f

"i bought a 1974 sea ray 240 for $100 as a project boat. The marina owner said that the boat was not winterized last year and it froze up, and cracked the block. I inspected the engine and the boat. The engine has the numbers 225 hp on it. I am trying to get my bearings over what engine was initially installed and ensure to get a good starting point for the rebuild, repower or plainly replacing the engine with a new up to date engine. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
221397.jpg
"

"distributor in the front. Loo

"distributor in the front. Looks like a Ford. You could put a long block in it but you need to establish if the boat is worth it. Guy will tell you about how to check the stringers, transom, etc."

"Since you will be pulling the

"Since you will be pulling the engine/OD, that would be a good time to inspect the transom, stringers, engine mounts and floor for moisture and dry/wet rot. Sound the upper and dry area of the transom to get a sense of what a solid core sounds like.

Rap on all areas of it, the floor, stringers and mounts. Thuds will indicate wet or rotted wood. ON THE INSIDE of the hull, you can confirm problem areas using an awl and poking around or a 1/8" drill bit w/the depth marked at 1/4" - 3/8" and drill some sampling holes low on the hull and stringers. Water will come out if it's there or black sawdust will indicate rot.

Old floatation foam holds water like a sponge and will keep the flooring wet. Wet foam has to come out.

Let me know if you find rot, etc. and I'll tell you how I rebuilt my boat."

That is really good info. I wi

That is really good info. I will be going to were my boat is the first week of dec and all the ifo here I will be taking with me to do and see just what I have gotten myself into.
Thank you
Joe Lewis

"Good post, guy. With what do

"Good post, guy. With what do you fill the samnple holes? Any idea how to fix the rot in my 401K? Seems to have a major leak."

"Fill the holes w/a mixture of

"Fill the holes w/a mixture of fine sawdust and 30 min. set epoxy; form into a workable putty and press it into the DRY holes.

As for the holes in your 401K, sit on them like a hen until they hatch and begin to grow. Nest egg sitting may bore you but persistence pays off. Feeding the right holes at this time will produce larger chicks when they hatch."

Back