Logo

Rugged Outboard Opinions Needed

big_yellow

"I was hoping you guys could p

"I was hoping you guys could provide some feedback.

I work for a marine construction company that does barge based work on the ocean. We utilize heavy 16' long wooden skiffs in combination with steel pushboats to move our barges around on job sites.

Currently we are running two and three cylinder Mercury 40hp outboards (2 stroke, tiller handle, pull start, 20" shaft) on the wooden skiffs. The engines are run hard - going from not running to full throttle to shut off, running wide open against a barge, shifting from forward to reverse before the engine comes to a complete stop, running in sand, run with bad props with broken/worn blades, run and then set on the barge for weeks at a time without flushing, crushed between barges, run with bad fuel, etc. Essentially everything that shouldn't be done to an outboard and every type of condition they shouldn't be run in they are. We typically end up rebuilding the lower units multiple times over the life of the engine as that seems to be what fails first. The engine size/weight is pretty good although we have run up to a 60 hp before but the overall size of the engine did not make it as suitable as the 40hp or even 50 hp engines that we have run.

We are thinking about upgrading some of our outboards as they are reaching the end of their serviceable life. The question I have is what is your opinion of the most rugged engine available today?

The 40 hp Mercury's work great but since they don't offer a two stroke anymore we are thinking we might have to switch brands. We have discussed switching to four strokes but are not sure if they are suited for our needs. Ideally the engine would be pull or pull/electric combination start, not weigh too much more than the engines we run now as the weight is important, have real good get up and go as that's what we need most to get the barges moving and be rugged as snot.

Your opinions are appreciated."

"I have been out of the outboa

"I have been out of the outboard loop for 10 years but used to service most of the refineries and environmental clean-up guys along the Delaware river. They all bounced back and forth between Merc and Evinrude. They tried Yamaha and the other Jap motors but the repair parts were too expensive and not as readily accessible as the domestic brands. Like you, these guys run these things 24/7 and when one breaks, they need to get it back up quickly.

Like I said, I've been away from that segment of the industry for quite a while and I don't know what your options are now, but I would try to stick with Merc or OMC."

"Unfortunately the big bad EPA

"Unfortunately the big bad EPA has killed the conventional 2 strokes for you guys in the US.

I did get to see the results of some tests conducted up my way (Canada) involving a 40 horse ETEC on a Marina's workboat. There were numerous issues, and although they were corrected by the BRP tech, did still cause the motor to be "down" for a number of days with each issue. The new "hi-tech" 2 strokes and the 4 strokes are "nice", but they still seem a little fragile. (and at the end of the test we hauled the ETEC off, stuck it in the display/test tank and hooked the 35 Merc back up)

Merc however has been able to save up some EPA credits and still produces a "conventional" 50 horse 2 stroke. This may be the last production year coming up since the next phase of EPA regs on outboards takes affect for the 2010 model year requiring the end of carburated outboards and it's unclear if Merc will bother to produce an injection system for that model.

They should be pretty close in weight/durability to your current 40 horses and not as computer dependant as any of the other current offering.

As an added bonus, their price is about 25% less than their "modern" counterparts..."

Back