Logo

Mercruiser Trim Gauge

dhog

"I don't have a trim gauge

"I don't have a trim gauge on my dash and was wondering how hard is it to put one in? Any suggestions on how to do it once i purchase the gauge(wire color,etc) Boat is a 1994 Bayliner w/ 3.0 Alpha Gen 2. Thanks"

Your better off learning to li

Your better off learning to listen to your engine for proper trim. A Gauge will tell you where the drive is once you learn where the "Sweet" spot is. Al W.

If you don't have the trim

If you don't have the trim position sender puck in place then nearly the whole back of the boat OD has to come off to install it. Listen to Al.

I agree with Al about listenin

I agree with Al about listening for "sweet" spot. I just like having a gauge for when I take off and not sure where trim is. I do have sender so I will check to see if it's wired into boat's wiring harness. My manual says it's #10 on the wiring plug and I hope it's run all the way to the instrument cluster. Thanks for your comments Guy!! Great to have discussion post such as this!!!

"You can install them by not r

"You can install them by not removing the bell housing, you would have to install the trim limit switch and trim gauge switch onto the gimbal ring in the correct positional order, the trim sender is located on the starboard side, trim limit on the port side of the gimbal ring. Then run the wires up along the sides of the transom assembly.( leaving some slack in the wires.)With plastic wire clips and stainless steel screws keep the wires snug along the sides of the transom assembly.(the clips are the same as the ones that are used to keep the wires in place for on the transom for your depth finder.)Run the wires together from the top of the transom assembly up the back of the boats transom,(way above the water line)then drill a hole into the transom and bring both wires through into the engine area. Use "boat life" calk in the the drilled opening, and place a pre molded stainless cover over the wires. From there you will have to connect the wires correctly one to the trim pump, and one that will lead to the dash. After that, you have to calabrate the switches so that you know exactly where the drive is. You can read this for futher help. http://www.sterndrives.com/supplies/mdtips06.html It can be done, however I think that Al Wicklunds' comment is the optimal opproach for a single outdrive config."

"Thanks for the info, Joe. I w

"Thanks for the info, Joe. I will keep my fingers crossed that my sender wire is functioning properly. I know my trim limit works properly. I have read on this discussion about the horrors of replacing these switches and wires and this by far would be the way to go for me. Thanks!!!"

Back