Logo

Winterizing problem

danoinak

"Hey all, I'm hoping someo

"Hey all, I'm hoping someone can help me out.
I am trying to winterize my 502 engine, and am having trouble. I flushed my engine and drained the block and manifolds. I restarted my engine to add AF through the lower unit. My wife says it's picking up, so I throttle up to 1500rpm for 1-2 minutes while I added Risolone to the air intake. I shut down, and my wife says, through a cloud of exhaust, that it didn't pick up the AF after all. My engine was getting hot, so bagged it for the evening.
Now I can't get it to pick up anything. I've tried force feeding the AF by setting the bucket on my swim step, no dice. I even jammed a garden hose into my AF hose trying to get it to pick up some water in case I had an air lock, but that isn't working either. Is it possible I burned up my impeller the first time? Thanks for any replies."

"Hello Daniel, Bad news! Sound

"Hello Daniel, Bad news! Sounds like you Fried your Impeller. I'd suggest you do the necessary
repairs and start all over. Better yet, go the Bondo route and re-drain the block, fuel cooler, oil cooler and possibly a Power Steering Cooler and call it a day. Hopefully you have the tools and skill to do change the Impeller. Al W. BTW, I've never liked the Drawing Anti Freeze method for the problem you are having."

"Second Al's comment. <[im

"Second Al's comment.
sad.gif
"

"That's what I was afraid

"That's what I was afraid of. My engine is raw water cooled, so I will make sure everything is drained again, and call it good. It doesn't get that cold here very often, even though I live in Alaska. We only get below freezing temps for a couple of weeks each winter. If my system sits dry, will it be alright till spring, or should I get the water pump off and fixed now?
Thanks for the replies."

"If you have any concern about

"If you have any concern about the block freezing; why dont you add the anti freeze through the water circulation pump hose in the front of the block. (There has been a lot of discussions on how to do it.) The hose from the top of the thermostat housing to the circ pump, one hose from the bottom of each exhaust manifold that is attached to the top of the thermostat housing,and the hose that the oil cooler is attached to. Empty the block first, then pour the anti freeze through these hoses (one at a time.)
1.Circ pump hose first, then reattach hose.
2.Exhaust manifold hoses,watch to see the AF exit the stern exhaust holes, port and starboard side.
3.oil cooler hose, drain first, then add AF.
This way you do not have to restart the engine."

"joe is giving you good advice

"joe is giving you good advice! I would do the Impeller repair now as your on top of the problem currently. I prefer to "Wet" store any component made with Cast Iron as I feel it discourages Scaling. If you are inclined, replace all the Drain Plugs and add RV anti freeze as joe has offered. Al W."

Back