Logo

351 Cleveland Retrofit

kassiemier

"Hi all,
I am new to this fo

"Hi all,
I am new to this forum so I hope I'm not asking something that has been discussed before, although that would actually help

We are retrofitting a 351 Cleveland onto an OMC stern drive, think it's a mid 80's, originally with a 351 Windsor.

Problem is, the exhaust ports are different and we cannot use the OMC manifolds. We are thinking of making up normal branches, but these will not be water cooled. How critical is water cooling on the manifolds ?

Tks"

"Hi Morten,

Thought that wa

"Hi Morten,

Thought that was the reason. But surely there are otherways to prevent fire from the exhaust manifolds, like cladding with ceramic cloth, or similar.

Where does the risk come from, from fuel leaking onto the manifold, or just the temperature of the manifold close to the hull ?"

"They will be glowing in the d

"They will be glowing in the dark!
Just accept there is a reason for ALL engine manifolds in boats to be water cooled. If manufacturers could find a 'cheaper' way accepted by different authorities, they probably would have done it."

"Quite right, the engine chamb

"Quite right, the engine chamber will become an oven if you don't physically remove the heat.
Convinced, thanks"

351C was never used in boats -

351C was never used in boats - not a good idea for about a billion reasons. Some car guy will trade you for a 351W or 302 they have laying around...go with that.
Or a 460.

"Hi Hy,

I found some clevel

"Hi Hy,

I found some cleveland marine manifolds, they must be ver old then. What are the main reasons for not going with C?"

"well ther you go - if you fou

"well ther you go - if you found the manifolds - you're fine then. - wherever they carry those ask about a marine distributor too and cam and water pump. Must be an old inboard ski application or something.
check the first post on this thread:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164717

and..
dist here actually:
MSD 85806
Distributor Ford V8 Marine 351C; 460
Pro-Billet; Marine Distributor

Here's a 351 in a boat - 1961...yeah, it looks like you have to use a bit of a time machine but the C was marinized at one time..
http://www.portcarlingboats.com/fredgaby2/DSCF2792.jpg""

You could get away with custom

You could get away with custom manifolds but you would have to have an open engine bay with dry stacks or upside down headers (race boat) or some impractical arrangement like that. Sill - a recipe for a big fire if you have a dog house over the engine.

Windsor was a slightly more robust with lower end power. Cleveland was better suited for more high end power but less durability. Its been years though.

Back