Logo

Mercruiser 30l Alpha engine temperature issues

bobw

I'm new to this forum. I h

I'm new to this forum. I have a 6 year old Glastron 175 with mercruiser 3.0 Alpha one. I just had a major service with new manifold/exhaust bellows/shift cable/ etc etc. The water temp before service was creeping up to 200 + then with corroded manifold I expected a big reduction. Now it runs at slow speed at around 185 but up to 200 if running at above 3500 rpm. What is the normal op temp for this engine/drive please?
Anything to check before I call the maintenance man who did what I thought was a good job?
Thanks Bob

You're not over heating at

You're not over heating at 200 but i wouldn't want to heat up much hotter than that.

is it fresh water cooled or raw water cooled?

FWC can run in the range you speak of. RWC would be getting a little warm at 200.

"Sorry FWC fresh water cooled.

"Sorry FWC fresh water cooled. OK understand. No mine is RWC. But with a new thermostat, new pump impeler. new manifold and elbow."

That's a little warm for R

That's a little warm for RWC. Are the manifolds excessively hot? Any steam coming from the exhaust?

Check the waterflow from the O

Check the waterflow from the OD at the T'stat hsg. by removing the hose and letting it dump into a bucket; it should fill a gallon or two in less than a minute. If it does that then insert a clear hose in the line and look for bubbles which indicates there is air getting into the cooling water from the OD impeller. Air in the cooling jacket will increase engine temps.

Thanks guys for the advice. Th

Thanks guys for the advice. The tech guy is checking for air tomorrow. Just a thought. I am in florida and there is a lot of shallow water down here. Ive had the boat from new (2003)and like most people have hit sand a few times - nothing bad. If sand got in the intake I guess it would cause overheating and could I get it out?
Also the boat seems to be making a new sound at speed something like a regular pulsating deep howl or roar every 2 seconds or so. Not from the engine more from the back of the boat.
Bob

Back