Logo

Opinion needed

T

tater_51

"Having pulled the tired 351 o

"Having pulled the tired 351 out of the Nautique, is it more cost effective to buy a remanufactured engine from a reputable dealer or rebuild it myself. Seems the cost of the rebuilt engines are pretty reasonable. Figuring cost of machining, block, heads redone, cam, etc, etc, etc,"

"If you have the knowledge and

"If you have the knowledge and special tools, dial calipers, micrometers, torque wrenches, ring filers, rings compressors, snap guages, camshaft degree wheel, a good book and the willingness to take your time and be patient, building your first motor and hearing it run is an amazing experience. I've built two by myself but helped on 3-4 before doing it totally alone. If you know someone with most or all of the special tools and find a GOOD reputable machinist. Its a great learning experiance. If you would have to purchase most of the tools then the cost/benifit ratio goes out the window.
But heres a complete rebuild kit for 400. http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=FEM%2DMHP176%2D311&autoview=sk u
If you do decide to do it for yourself take the motor apart LABEL EVERYTHING!!! if you reuse the cam, lifters the lifters MUST go back to the corresponding cam lobe because they have created a wear pattern. Then take the crank, rods, block to the machinist and he can tell you how much the cylinders need to be bored how much the crank needs to be turned. Which in turns tells you what pistons and bearing to get.
Hope this helps some feel free to ask any more questions.
Ryan
[email protected]"

Back