Logo

Diesel Fuel In Bilge

adubuisson

I had a main engine racor and

I had a main engine racor and generator racor leak fuel into the bilge. Now my otherwise clean smelling boat smells like a diesel fuel tank. Does anyone have suggestions on getting the fuel and associated smell out of my boat!

"Several years ago I had a sim

"Several years ago I had a similar problem with a gasoline leak in my bilge. The solution that worked best is that I dumped a half bottle of Dawn liquid dishwashing detergent in there, added some water, and let is slosh around a few days while running the boat before pumping it out. Had to do it two or three times, but it eventually killed the gasoline smell and left a very clean and clean-smelling bilge. Should work for Diesel too. Someone told me that is how the Coast Guard handles cleaning their bilges."

"Alan, I never had to get it o

"Alan, I never had to get it out of a bilge but here is what I do to get the smell out of clothing. First use a lot of vineger. Depending on the size of your bilge you might want to just soak it for a day or two. Flush out the vineger and then use a strong detergent like Era or Dawn and let that in for a few days then flush out the bilge. It might take a few trys but it eventually will go away.
Cal"

Thanks Cal and W D Neal. Someo

Thanks Cal and W D Neal. Someone else also mentioned something called Orange Glo or any other heavy duty Citrus Based heavy duty degreaser/cleaner. I think I will go to Sams Club today and get a 30 gal drum of all three.
Alan

Back