Logo

800 Stringer no reverse

oilslik

Contributing Member
"Kinda of dead around here so

"Kinda of dead around here so I will post one up. I seem to have lost reverse somehow. Worked fine the last time I was out. Before you ask, I havent looked at it yet some of us still have to work for a living:

1. Low fluid or bad fluid on a hydro-mech lower will cause reverse to not ingage. True or false.

2. Trouble shooting the lower begins with the carburator. True or false.

I'm putting my money on the low fluid. If you have something to add (other than landfill related jokes) by all means do it. There is a lack of reverse posts on here. Either way reverse or no reverse, the shrimp are coming with me this weekend."

"fluid leaking out of a lower

"fluid leaking out of a lower gets rapidly replaced by water and in the short term water will work in the hydro assist - but then rust it up.

don't understand the carburetor thing- you mean linkage? - definitely watch the link at the shift converter for full movement - if good, then take the cover off the shift converter and see how it looks in there."

"what that link is simply sayi

"what that link is simply saying is that a low idle rpm saves gearsets and other mechanical parts. good advice, but having "no reverse" is another issue right now... however high idle rpm could certainly be the root cause of your failure and something to correct before lunching any more parts if that was the cause."

"Right, I'll let you know

"Right, I'll let you know what happens. I found this on Yahoo-

"It's been nearly 15 years since I last worked on a cable shift 800 drive. But inside the boat, where the "shift cable" comes up and attaches to the helm cable at the shift assembly, remove the lower unit shift cable. Then WITH THE ENGINE OFF see if the prop turns freely. If not, try pulling on the shortest cable while your helper jiggles the prop. If it will not slip out of reverse, there is a problem with the clutch dog or the shift mech., usually the dog. I think this is a repair left to a mechanic trained in 800's. They run great and have fewer problems than some of the other drives. But they have to be assembled carefully. I hope this helps!!!"

Hope it doesnt come to this yet."

"Ok fellow OMC's. While I

"Ok fellow OMC's. While I was busy mashing my fingers up I checked a few things out. The shift box and plastic piece look pretty good to me:
http://stamas.blip.tv/#1528960
The cables have a little slack in them. Should they be tight?
And it turns out I still have the electric throttle box (unhooked of course) its a hydromech:
http://stamas.blip.tv/#1528962
And since then I have confirmed that both the upper and the lower are getting water in them. Changed out all the fluids and thought reverse was working again on the garden hose, but in the water not-a. I think I'm looking at a new unit and rebuilding this one for a spare. Any comments?"

"those wires are for connectin

"those wires are for connecting to the neutral safety switch, so the boat cannot be started in gear. And there might be wires there for power trim to feed a shifter trim switch if selectrim handle installed."

Back