Logo

Exhaust Steam

mcastellitto

"For over a year now I have be

"For over a year now I have been trying to decide if the steam I get from my exhaust is normal or if something is wrong with my engines. I have 1992 FWC Mercs with lift mufflers. The steam dissappates within 10' - 15' behind the boat and is only there while under load (I typically only run at 3200 RPMS), both engines produce the same amount.

This past weekend it was more than normal but I was contributing it to cooler water temps, higher air temps. All manifolds and elbows are new, water flow is good and engines run at Starboard 160, Port 180.

The starboard engine does have a little trouble reaching WOT and I will have that looked at over the winter. Any ideas on what to check for for the steam and as well what to "tune-up" for the WOT issue?"

If you are not loosing FWC coo

If you are not loosing FWC coolant or getting water in the oil then the steam is just hot heat exchanger water vaporizing in the lake water; not to worry.

The starboard engine appears it could use a new thermostat. Is the carb choke functioning properly? Spark plugs and plug wires in good condition? Fuel filters clean? Flame arrestor clean?

Back