Logo

50 MPI 260 HP Cause of Alarm

easy_rider

"Hoping someone can help! I a

"Hoping someone can help! I am in the process of winterizing my 240 Sundancer and after changing the drive lube, I was unable to start the engine. The alarms sounded after turning the ignition. I now only get one beep and not the standard three. It cranks but doesn't turn over.

I believe the three causes for the engine alarms to sound are engine temp (engine was cold), engine oil level & pressure (is fine) and drive level.

In changing the drive fluid I opened the lower and upper screws, pumped fluid into the lower drain until it came out of the upper, and then closed both.

Would the sensor on the lube monitor (if there is one)cause the issue I am experiencing?

Any thoughts and ideas are appreciated!"

The lube reservoir is filled t

The lube reservoir is filled to the normal operating range. Any additional ideas are appreciated.

Thanks!

"Ron, I'm with Guy on this

"Ron, I'm with Guy on this one. Take a screw driver and probe the bottom of you fluid reservoir looking for Yuck! The sensor inside the reservoir is a little foam float that just may be stuck in the low position. I clean mine out every year because of the Yuck! Al W."

Will try tomorrow.

Al &amp

Will try tomorrow.

Al & Guy - THANKS for jumping in and giving me some direction. Hopefully this will do the trick and then the engine will turn over after the alarms normalize and get me out of safe mode. Boat ran great the entire season.

"Al, Guy, Everyone Out There -

"Al, Guy, Everyone Out There - Just checked the drive lube reservoir...cleaned out some of the "yuck" and made sure the float was moving up/down. Slowly added lube and the float moved up as high is it can, level is in the normal operating range.

Turned the ignition and still got the one beep vs. the typical three, and she obviously isn't cooperating. Checked the dist cap and rotor and found white/green corrosion inside the cap (which was replaced two seasons ago)...will replace again in the next few days.

Would the dist cap/rotor not functioning properly, trigger the alarm system to go into safe mode?

Not sure where to go from here, except that I'm getting close to having MarineMax send a mobile mechanic that will start me out at $200+.

Thanks for your continued ideas and support folks!!!

Ron"

"Ron, You will help your cause

"Ron, You will help your cause by letting the very knowledgeable people here know what year, history, engine hours, etc. your boat has/is.
Download the manual, (search under "Postings by Bondo" for a link. At $200 an hour I'd rather change parts and find a problem. This board will help you to find an answer. Al W."

Connect a digital ohmmeter to

Connect a digital ohmmeter to the lube level sender and move the sender up/down slowly to see if it is changing resistance and not open. I don't know what range it operates so start at 1K.

"First of all, there are a lot

"First of all, there are a lot of things other than drive lube reservoir (which you can eliminate just by disconnecting it), oil pressure and coolant temp that will set an alarm on a MPI engine, but corrosion of the distributor cap and rotor are not one of them.

I'm assuming this is a Mercruiser engine, what year is it?

When you say you get "one beep" when you turn the key, do you mean a short beep or a continuous alarm?"

"[b]It cranks but doesn't

"It cranks but doesn't turn over.? I'm not quite sure I understand. Any way, I don't think the reservoir switch would disable the starter or the ignition system. All it does is activate the warning horn. Am I correct?"

"Al - I appreciate your spirit

"Al - I appreciate your spirit. Boat is a 2003 Searay 240 Sundancer - Mercruiser 5.0 MPI/Bravo III (bought as leftover in '04). Hrs: 229 General History: Overall, has run very well. '05: Dist Cap/Rotor changed (bad corrosion/new batteries. '07: IAC valve replaced (40 hrs ago), belt, in-line fuel filter. All other general maintenance has been kept up with. Guy - I don't have a digital ohmmeter but will see if I can get my hands on one. Dave - The one beep is when I turn the ignition, it's just a short beep. Should I disconnect the nut on the underside of the reservoir and see what happens?

Thanks all and sorry for answering the three of you in one shot.

Ron"

"As Dave said just disconnect

"As Dave said just disconnect the Leads from the Reservoir to see if the Beep stops. And do not touch that nut under the Reservoir, there is no need. Hopefully someone with more expertise than I will help you find the problem. Please post your progress. Al W."

"If you're just getting on

"If you're just getting one short beep, this is not an alarm mode, and it's not the Engine Gaurdian system that is preventing it from running. Have you checked the engine fuses? Do you have a service manual?"

"Ron...

"It cranks but

"Ron...

"It cranks but doesn't turn over"....I'm with Allen on this one. Do you mean that it cranks but won't start, or it doesn't even spin over with the starter. Does the starter spin?

Does this engine have a big red button circuit breaker on top of the engine? (I'm not familier with this engine) Give it a push to reset it. It must be something simple if it ran fine before changing the lube.

Wrench"

"AL - I will try disconnecting

"AL - I will try disconnecting the leads when I get back over to the boat...but my job may keep me busy for the balance of the day...you are referring to the two wires running from the nut underneath the reservoir that have two clear sections about six inches from the end correct?.......DAVE - I have not checked the engine fuses but will do so, they are near the ECM somewhere up top right? I downloaded the manual (#36)yesterday and will review.......WRENCH - It cranks but doesn't start, even had a backfire or two, starter is spinning. The engine does have a red circuit breaker button in the top center...when I pushed it, it was odd, like it didn't click or do anything and perhaps a bit of tension, it's hard to describe.

THANKS BOYS!"

Back Fire? Threw the Carb. or

Back Fire? Threw the Carb. or out the exhaust? Time for caution now! What are your mechanical abilities? Al W.

"almost sounds like timing.Doe

"almost sounds like timing.Does the motor sound like it has its normal crank pattern[compression on all cylinders],none weak where it spins through fast? TURBOMAN --------ROLL TIDE"

I'm thinking it's time

I'm thinking it's time to look at the Cap and Rotor. You can do this yourself. Do not mix up the wires! They are cheap enough for a DIY and Sierra brand is fine. Al W.

"Ron...

We need to get back

"Ron...

We need to get back to the original complaint. Changed the gear oil and now it won't start. What could happen by changing the gear oil?? Maybe you need to re-investigate the lube reservoir again. What else could go on??

A few things that could be a coincidence...

1) Tach shorting out... check the full length of the grey wire going to the tach. Make sure its not rubbed through anywhere.

2) Sometimes when shutting off the engine, the timing chain will jump a tooth on it's final hic-up as the engine is stopping, but for a 2003, I wouldn't think that the chain would be that loose yet. That would explain back firing through the exhaust because valve timing would be way off.

3) Back firing out the exhaust could also be from low fuel pressure. Re-visit that whole fuel pump thing again.

4) Funny that the alarms are acting stupid. Makes you think that its electrical.

Wrench"

"EVERETT - Cranking sounds pre

"EVERETT - Cranking sounds pretty normal and this is a boat that turns over after about three seconds, like clockwork. It just so happens that it isn't since being brought on land and blocked up. I started the winterizing process and once I tried starting her up after changing the gear lube, I'm experiencing the alarm scenario...I think it's electrical, but don't know for sure.

AL - I am one step ahead of you and picked up a cap and rotor yesterday, but haven't installed them yet. The old cap had white/green corrosion, if this isn't ontributing to the problem, it is something that needs to be done anyhow. Not sure if this would give me one beep vs. the standard three when all is well. Will report back on this after changing them out.

WRENCH - I will try disconnecting the leads from the reservoir and see what happens. Regarding the timing, I don't think this is our problem as this boat has purred like a kitten for a long while, and I think the back fire I heard (maybe twice while tried starting it 20-30 times over 3 or 4 trips to the boat) was just trying to start her up too many times in a row. My gut tells me it is electrical in nature since the alarm pattern changed once I changed the drive lube...but you guys know a lot more than I do, so knows at this point.

Thanks boys!"

"Wouldn't be timing, it&#3

"Wouldn't be timing, it' not adjustable. Could be cap and rotor.

Are you sure your battery is in good shape? No start with an occasional backfire during cranking can be a sign of low voltage on an EFI engine."

DAVE - Will change cap and rot

DAVE - Will change cap and rotor over the weekend. Batteries are charged. Stay tuned.

EVERYONE - Thanks for hanging in with me on this.

"GUY/AL/DAVE/WRENCH/ALLAN/EVER

"GUY/AL/DAVE/WRENCH/ALLAN/EVERETT - Good news from Long Island! I changed the cap and rotor and I am back in business. It's very odd that the boat ran like a top all season and once I get on land, she gives me trouble. I guess this is the best scenario vs. being in the water still.

Only other odd thing is the alarms still don't beep three times upon turning the ignition to the on position, but I'll deal with that in the spring.

Thanks again boys, I'll have to put you into my will!!!!!!!

Ron"

"by timing I meant possible ca

"by timing I meant possible cam to crank timing,sorry I didn't specify, but he's got it handled,just t.o.l[thinking out loud] turboman ROLL TIDE 11-0"

Ron...

Glad to hear that th

Ron...

Glad to hear that things are working out with the boat.

I'll have to send you my name and address so you can forward it on to your lawyer. How's your health? I'm getting behind with some of my payments. When can we expect this 'will' to go into effect?

Wrench

Sorry Wrench - But the health

Sorry Wrench - But the health is pretty good and I hope hang around for many yrs to come...only 41.

Thanks again boys.

Ron

Hey Ron
I see you are from Sa

Hey Ron
I see you are from Sayville. I keep a 2150 Capri 5.0 down at Port O Call (in driveway for winter now).

Back