Logo

SeaSkiff Backfire

colombo

I have a 1960 Chris-Craft with

I have a 1960 Chris-Craft with a 283 engine. It seems to idle fine and run at high speed (3000 rpm). While I'm throttleing up it starts to spit and sputter (backfire) at about 1500 rpm. It has a Carter WCFB 4-barrel carb.

Does anybody have suggestion?
Thanks ; Dave

"Narw; it's a Carter carb.

"Narw; it's a Carter carb. (They came from the factory with backfiring built it.) The accelerator pump shot is weak. Assuming the pump doesn't need replacement, look for a way to make the 'shot' greater as the throttle is moved. The lever arm often has several holes. Move the link closest to the pivot for the maximum shot.

Jeff

PS: A sure cure is a new Edelbrock 1409 marine carb."

Thanks for the info! The compr

Thanks for the info! The compression check will have to wait until spring of '09 although the engine was rebuilt about 5 yrs ago. As for the carb I was considering a new/rebuilt one but didn't really know about how to interchange them. I do have that off of the boat so I do have some options there.
Dave

I replaced my Carters with Ede

I replaced my Carters with Edelbrock 1409 Marine carbs. They perform well with the only item that they do not have the PCV vacuum hookup.

Very satisfied with them

..."the only item that the

..."the only item that they do not have the PCV vacuum hookup."

Weird that Edelbrock doesn't drill and tap that hole. I've done several now and it's not hard to do (though it takes a bit of nerve!)

Mark: I hope you're not running without a PCV system. That's bad news on a marine engine.

Jeff

Back