Logo

Bravo III Corrosion on prop shaft collar

"I took the propellers off my

"I took the propellers off my Bravo III sterndrive today and was surprised to see that the collar behind the inner prop is severely corroded. This part looks like its made out of some type of pot metal. The boat is only 3 years old (2005). I run it in the Chesapeake Bay so it it exposed to salt water. Other than the zincs, this is the only part where I see any corrosion.
221176.jpg
Bravo III Prop Shaft Collar"">
Has anyone else had this problem?
What is this part made of that it is corroding so bad?
How do I get this part off?
Any idea of the cost to replace?"

Nothing new here Benny. Bravo

Nothing new here Benny. Bravo III drives have been plagued with excessive electrolysis of the Lower Shaft Housing since the introduction of these units. Why? Do a search on Google and you'll learn much. As for me here's what I've done to minimize the problem on my Bravo III.
My approach was to eliminate as much bare metal exposure to stray electrical current as I could. My Props are Powder Coated. My entire outdrive is painted with Imron from Dupont. That includes the area of your problem. Yours doesn't look too bad yet so get at it. Use caution when working with Imron. I also doubled up the Mercathod as was a Mercruiser Bulletin a few years ago. Do take the time to clean all your system grounds. This is often overlooked and should not be. I'm hoping some of our Professional Mechs. will jump in on this topic. I also am a believer in Drive Showers on Bravo III's. Al W.

Drive shower sprays water over

Drive shower sprays water over the OD while under way to keep it cool. Water is forced thru pickup tubes; the more the RPMs the more shower water.

"Just a little more about Driv

"Just a little more about Drive Showers. During cruise to destination the upper Gear housing of our Drives are mostly out of the water and therefore do not get cooled properly. Mercruiser was aware of this being a problem and recommended that operators slow to idle every Twenty minutes or so to cool the top of the drive. By adding a Drive Shower, water continually cools the upper housing which in turn allows the Drive oils to stay in proper consistency and lubricate as required. Al W."

"Even though this is a VERY co

"Even though this is a VERY common problem,this collar can and HAS been replaced in the past,its a b***ch of a job and if you ever do it remember,the piece you are looking at is REVERSE thread!!!!.I hope none of you are ever asked to replace one ."

Back