Logo

Engine TOO HEAVY

im4524

"I posted a question about my

"I posted a question about my boat..."80's mercury 288 5.0L 8cyl engine NEWBIE"...
Got a lot of info..and got the boat running great...3 spark plug wires were out of order.....!!!

Anyway, as discussed in that thread---the engine seems to be a replacement that is WAY bigger than the original. The rear of the boat sits WAY down in the water.....and the front sticks up...Not too bad at slow speeds but now when we gun it, I can barely see over if I stand!!!

HELP???
}"

"George, I'm a NEWBIE here

"George, I'm a NEWBIE here as well, but I can tell you this: "You came to the right place"! I've got a 21-ft Bowrider with 5.0 Mercruiser. When I take off WOT (wide-open-throttle), with 5 or 6 people onboard, my bow will stay up about 3 or 4 seconds before reaching plane. I know from past experience, 1 of 2 things MAY be the cause of your problem.

1. Pitch or size of your prop may be incorrect. At one time, I changed my pitch one way or the other, to increase my top-end speed, but found out that I could not pull up 2 ski's at the same time...OR
2. The gears in you outdrive may be for a 4 or 6 cylinder motor. I had a friend that bought an Alpha outdrive on Ebay, not realizing the internal 'guts' were from a 6-cyl, and he had a 350-cid. He could never get it to plane out.

I may be wrong, and welcome the 'EXPERTS' advice on this, as I said previously, I'm also a NEWBIE, and there are plenty of EXPERTS that will direct you in the write direction. Good-Luck!"

George:

Please continue you

George:

Please continue your current comment on your old thread for reference; kind of lost on the history.

"what engine was originally in

"what engine was originally in the boat?

even going from a 4cyl to a big V8 only adds 300 pounds - like two adults standing on the transom.

If it's sinking that far, I suspect waterlogged floatation foam under the floor."

Back