Logo

Milky Oil

milky_oil

I have a 2001 Searay w/ twin 3

I have a 2001 Searay w/ twin 300hp merc mpi horizons w/ 260 hours. Bought boat new in 2002 and has been "yard maintained" by same reputable marina until this summer. Had new exhaust elbows and manifolds placed in Spring 2008. Boat had little use this season (12 hrs!!) but by August had problem w/ stbrd engine (poor performance and hard start). Could not make it back to usual mechanic so brought boat to a local yard who said plugs were fouled and changed them. By Sept had same problem. I had boat hauled by a different local yard last week and got a call that oil in stbrd engine is milky. Engine runs but poorly. How screwed am I? Could this have anything to do w/ the work I had done in the Spring? I am told that a compression test is the next step. Is this true?

"Could this have anything

"Could this have anything to do w/ the work I had done in the Spring?"

It's possible that a gasket has failed and water is getting into the engine via the exhaust system.

"That's what I thought. If

"That's what I thought. If that's "all" it is, how much damage do you thinks been done? Any way to tell? Also, do you think compression test is next step?"

"Hello Dave, Your situation ne

"Hello Dave, Your situation needs an accurate diagnosis. A Comp. test is the correct place to start. Actually, the "Milky Oil" was the first step of Diagnosing a problem. Do the Comp. test and record each cylinders pressure and report back to us. Al W."

"A compression test won't

"A compression test won't hurt a thing and provide a wealth of info. about the engine's health.

Remove the contaminated oil & filter, pull the plugs to see which ones have water contamination. If the water seems to be on one side then pull the exhaust components and examine for cracks and defective gaskets.

Before refilling the pan w/oil and removing the exhaust, remove the T'stat hsg. and fill the intake w/water; see if the water level drops.

Remove the oil pan plug when the pan is empty, lay down a disposable diaper under it and watch for water to run out. That will tell you if the block has a large internal crack."

Comp test:
Cylinder 1 100

Comp test:
Cylinder 1 100
Cylinder 2 160
Cylinder 3 100
Cylinder 4 0
Cylinder 5 0
Cylinder 6 0
Cylinder 7 150
Cylinder 8 160
Pulled valve cover and exhaust manifold on even side of engine which is most accessable. Milky paste over valves even after changed oil. Pushrods and rocker arms have some rust but not sure how much is normal. Advice? Rebuild? New block? New engine?

"Dave
To eliminate water cont

"Dave
To eliminate water contamination it takes at least 3-4 oil changes to get 99 % of the water out of the motor. That is with running it up to temp each time between changes.

Those numbers look BAD and incorrect!!

Based on the fact that both sides (banks) show low or zero I would say it is one of two things.

One, the rings are not seated due to water/oil contamination.
two, both head gaskets are bad.

Cylinders 4 , 5 and 6, show zero is very hard to believe!! I would try to start engine and then recheck. You did say it would run but badly???

What I would have expected to see would be cylinders 1 and 3 or 5 and 7 or 4 and 6. not all of them. Something does not look correct.

I would have to say at this point in time it looks like A head gasket (CYL 1 & 3). The other numbers are bogus. Both will still need to be replaced.

Let us know what the shop says."

"Might have a few stuck exhaus

"Might have a few stuck exhaust valves from water intrusion via manifolds. That would account for the "0" readings. Odd that it would be on both banks as the Ghost states.

Sounds like improper winterization.

Its just time to find the cracks. Guy's diaper suggestion is interesting and new to me. Good post.

If i was repairing this for a customer, I would jam a long block and manifolds in it and be done."

I'm in agreement with Mist

I'm in agreement with MistaHays! Only a Cat should chase it's Tail. Break Out Another Thousand! Al W.

I'm in agreement w/MistaHa

I'm in agreement w/MistaHays;

BUT: Compare the cost of installing a reliable remanufactured longblock or a new longblock including ALL incidental charges to the cost of installing a complete drop-in engine.

A jumbo disposable DIAPER will catch a lot of oily crud while keeping the bilge clean and dry.

Back