Logo

Bellows

waylon

"Hi, I have a 1996 3.0 lx with

"Hi, I have a 1996 3.0 lx with an Alpha 1 Gen 2 stern drive. I am wanting to change all of the bellows. On the outside they are showing some minor cracking but they look ok inside. My dealer says that with the age they need changed. I am wanting to attempt this job myself. I have heard that it is very difficult. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this?"

"Yes I have done about 300 &#4

"Yes I have done about 300 + over the years and it is not an easy job.

For someone to try to do it for the first time and no one to help who has done it before you should expect it to take 12 - 16 hours or more plus some special tools.

Not a job for the weak at heart!!

For someone with experience it takes about 3-5 hours max.

Special tools needed are specific to mercs also so you may need to buy them.

Other than that please ask away, you may need to speak with someone over the phone from here for this big of a job. To many things to do and to much info to discuss.

There is to much to explain to type it all here."

do the water hoses also
i wou

do the water hoses also
i would do the shift cable aslo since you have the drive off

I just did an alpha one. You n

I just did an alpha one. You need the exhaust bellow installer tool and the socket to remove the gimbal pins. About $75 for both. An alignment tool would be handy to make sure your engine is aligned($80)

Make sure you have the manual handy and follow it. Each hose clamp needs to be put in in a certain way so it can be tightened once on.

I suggest you shave your head before you start so you dont pull all your hair out.

I still say go for it. It is a fun job!

"What about the gimble bearing

"What about the gimble bearing? I think I would be checking that.

I suggest you shave your head before you start so you dont pull all your hair out.

Bulit7, Now that you mention it maybe that is why I'm loosing my hair."

"The gimbal looked fine. It is

"The gimbal looked fine. It is neccessary to check the alignment? When I pulled the out drive there was no sign of any leaking. I am only changing the bellows as a prevent. After contemplating this, I am tempted to try to get another year or two out of them. What do you all think?
Thanks."

"Just did all this on my Gen I

"Just did all this on my Gen II. Took me about 6 hours at least. Sanding the areas clean where the bellows clamp on is a total pain. I have a big roll of emery cloth 1" wide- helped a lot.
I decided to replace my gimble, then all 3 bellows, shift cable (the new one is an updated teflon coated one- and the little locking set screw would not come out of my old one without destruction of the guide so plan for that), and I did the water hose, and trim limit switch (the wires were all frayed looking). Order it all for a 12 year old boat. I got an alignment tool off eBay for $35
I just used an allen key for the pins I think.
I hope it lasts 10 years because it sure is a pain in the butt and parts are very expensive."

"Only done it two times on my

"Only done it two times on my Pre Alpha and they are telling you straight. It would help to have cast iron knuckles or plenty of bandaids. All the edges are sharp as razors. I made a bellows tool by fastening six thin oak strips onto a tennis ball with hot-melt glue, the 18" long strips evenly spaced around the ball. Poke the thing into the bellows and squeeze down on the ends, expanding the blind end and slip it onto the drive hub. Ain't easy - can't see what you're doing most of the time. About like stuffing a calf back into the cow. Absolutely renew everything that can break, crack or stretch while you're in there. Photo it all before dismantling. Another set of hands is almost essential. A kid to hold the light and mop your brow would be nice. (Plug his ears.) A couple of cold six-pacs are absolutely essential.

My boat is in a floating boathouse and everything I drop goes into 10 feet of water, so I float an old wooden screen door beneath the work area. Most things bounce off and go into the water anyway.

It's really a job where the professionals earn their money, IMHO. Good luck. JW in Dixie"

I just finished the bellows jo

I just finished the bellows job and the water pump on the alpha 1 gen 2. I noticed water coming out from the hole in the bell housing at the lower end of it where the shift shaft comes through to mate with the shifter in the lower unit. Is this normal or have I missed something? Any help would be appreciated.

I had ear muffs on it. I am ra

I had ear muffs on it. I am racking my brain and the only thing that i can come up with is that mabye the o ring to the water inlet got pinched. Any thoughts?

hey all well i was going to at

hey all well i was going to atempt this job myself as well but after reading this post as i read em all and enjoy and find them very helpfull i think ill just take my boat to the marine shop and let them have at it for the 500.00 quoat they give me

"I read somewhere in a forum t

"I read somewhere in a forum that it is no longer necessary to connect the outdrive end of the exhaust bellows. Apparently this is an official procedure published by Mercury. I can find no reference to this other than the contributions of the forum members. Can any of the experts verify this as I'm in the middle of reconnecting the bellows and if I can avoid connecting that end, it will make life so much simpler?"

There is a straight tube exhau

There is a straight tube exhaust that is connected on the gimbal end and used in place of an exhaust bellows.

I am trying to fabricate the t

I am trying to fabricate the tool that is used to crimp the small clamp on the shift bellows. The seloc repair manual says to use a 3/4 in nut and to drill out the threads with a 1/2 in drill bit. The problem is that a 1/2 in drill bit is too small to even touch the threads let alone drill them out. Is this a typo? Does anyone know the proper size? Any help would be appreciated.
Greg

"throw the clamp away and use

"throw the clamp away and use a zip tie.
thumbs_up.gif
"

Back