Logo

Chiptuning d4 engines

larson_274

"Hi I have a Larson 274 with a

"Hi I have a Larson 274 with a d4 225 engine in it. Wen I have alot of weight in the boat I lack a little power to get the boat up to plane. I can see a lot of companys offer hp and torque boost chips for these engines. Does anyone now if there are any reliability problems with these, and can the Volvo dealer see on the computer if one has been installed?"

Hi may be a smaller set of pro

Hi may be a smaller set of props might be needed if your carrring alot of weight around?
and yes i can see what software is running!!!

"Smaller or a lower pitch prop

"Smaller or a lower pitch props are the solution. See if you can get the recommended maximum WOT RPM with the props you have now and the weight you usually carry.

Do you have trim tabs? Put them all the way down when you are trying to get on plane, then put them back where you need them once you are on plane.

Also, if the weight is mobile (people) move it towards the bow until you get on plane. I once had to do this when I took four very large friends for a ride on my old boat."

"Assuming you are a dealer Lee

"Assuming you are a dealer Lee i believe you are correct that you can see what software revision is running but bear in mind that when software is optimised, the revision reference information doesn't change. I regularly carry out performance tuning on boats here in Scotland for a local reputable main dealer and I have yet to have a single related problem with any of the 100's of engines I have worked with. I have yet to work with a dealer who can take a hex dump and actually find the difference between the original software and my own....the benefits to this modification far outweigh any possible negatives..

Just my 2 cents...."

Back